How to get out your driveway when another car is blocking it

Youtube can do it, but it takes some jiggery-pokery on the part of the embedder.

1 Like

My local shopping centre has about a hundred car spaces and one reserved spot for motorcycles. Naturally, the bike spot is very frequently occupied by parked cars.

I take great joy in parking my bike in front of them…but I am careful to ostentatiously photograph their number plate when doing so, just in case.

My brother used to work at a hospital, which had the usual parking problems. He also rode a bike, and they also had a regular problem with cars parking in the bike spaces.

One day, he found a parking cop writing a ticket for a car parked across the bike zone. He helpfully pointed out that the car was illegally parked in half a dozen bike spots, not just one. The cop agreed and wrote another five tickets.

20 Likes

Ahh, this makes me smile ever so happily. Schadenfreude is the one and only true joy!

4 Likes

You’re on a bike right? Then you probably carry these:

Which makes this an option:

12 Likes

Pretty much. Landscape will almost always be the best orientation for things like movies but short form video that’s going to be viewed on a phone works well in portrait mode. Did you watch this video on your phone? I did. Most people do. Mobile usage of YouTube surpassed viewing on laptop or desktop computers sometime in the last year or two and that trend seems like it’s going to continue.

1 Like

I have a vertical monitor so it’s all working out over here.

1 Like

As someone who’s done this in real life, it’s way harder than it looks.

1 Like

no irony

All video playback apps sense the phone’s orientation and adjust accordingly. You’re “viewing on a phone” excuse is ridiculous. Again, you’re ignoring reality. There’s a reason that there are camera apps that tell you to rotate the phone to landscape mode when you’re shooting video.

If the intended viewing audience of a video is human beings with two eyes arranged horizontally, then the the correct format is landscape.

Depends on the vehicle of course. 8 furniture warehouse employees vs the manager’s MG can be mighty effective.

There’s a reason that there are camera apps that tell you to rotate the phone to landscape mode when you’re shooting video.

There’s a reason Snapchat insists on the phone being vertical. As does Periscope. And Meerkat. Facebook recently announced they are doubling-down on vertical videos. Video ads shown in portrait orientation are watched for longer than landscape ads. Apparently vertical video on a phone is more engaging.

This is what this page looks like on my monitor when I make it full screen:

The text is a tall, narrow column.

Oh dear, no. Snapchat will happily shoot landscape video, by simply turning the camera. And I’ve been on Periscope almost since day 1, and it has always supported landscape video. Are you trying to pull a Trump, and just make things up, assuming that no one will check?

You may be right about Meerkat only supporting portrait mode. That might be why they went out of business 2 weeks ago. Oops.

I’m using the Android version of Snapchat and it doesn’t work with landscape. I wish it would because it would make the face swap stuff a whole lot easier.

Periscope didn’t support landscape when I tried it. I just Googled it and it’s supported it for a year now, so I am behind the times in that.

[quote=“Chesterfield, post:54, topic:87639”]
I’m using the Android version of Snapchat and it doesn’t work with landscape. [/quote]

So am I. Yes it does.

Turn phone in landscape mode. Press and hold on-screen button to shoot up to 15 seconds of landscape video.

Wait - are you just letting the camera record or are you actually using the features that define Snapchat? If it’s the former, then big deal.

Export the video and let me know if the orientation hinting is there. For me everything comes out as vertical.

MX plays it correctly, while VLC doesn’t. I assume it’s a Snapchat implementation issue. If I’m shooting video to be exported for some other use, Snapchat wouldn’t be my choice, if only because of its limitations. I’d go with the native camera app, or ABC.

I assume it’s a Snapchat implementation issue.

Or your assumptions are wrong. Snapchat is clearly a portrait-mode application. That the video exports as vertical video isn’t an implementation issue, it’s working-as-designed.

Of all the apps out there, Snapchat is most clearly an application for shooting self-portraits and so it’s silly to argue that it shouldn’t use portrait mode.

And to clarify your earlier comment, your Snapchat doesn’t let you use it’s face-detection features in landscape mode, right?

As you didn’t even know that Periscope or Snapchat could shoot landscape video, excuse me if I don’t accept your expertise on this matter. Snapchat is primarily a still image app, with a half-assed implementation of video. The fact that they screwed up the implementation shouldn’t be taken as anything more than a programming bug.

I have always held the opinion that commercial would have played so much better if she held up a middle finger instead of the Mentos package.