How will England respond to Queen Elizabeth's passing?

Semi-wooosh for you, my friend. :wink:

Not that improbable, what with her dad being King and all that.

4 Likes

I meant more how her dad became King to begin with… I mean, yeah, the British monarchy has a pretty fucked up history full of “stranger than fiction” twists and turns but I don’t think many predicted Edward would abdicate the throne to go marry an American socialite divorcée, or that her dad would die at an early age never having born a son. These things probably weren’t on many 20th century bingo cards.

5 Likes

Or, hear me out, a death-grip on power… :wink:

4 Likes

Roger that. I really have zero interest in the royals, but Mrs. Ficus watches a lot of documentaries on them so between that and Downton Abbey I’ve picked up a lot through osmosis.

2 Likes

8 Likes

Hearing the word “passing”, it makes me think the Queen is crop-dusting the populace during the Jubilee parade.

farts GIF

2 Likes

As an American I’ve never, repeat never, comprehended the fascination for the Royal Family in general and the Queen in particular. I can understand the British being interested. You’re stuck with them, after all. I don’t understand why so many Americans are fixated on them. When in I was in high school in the mid-1960s our “Contemporary World Problems” teacher made us memorize the line of succession to the Throne to the tenth place–no lie!–and tested us on it. Personally I could never figure out what The Royals did other than spend loads of money and tamp down scandals. Tell me, O Britons, does the royal family have any genuine positive effect upon your lives? Do the British people take them seriously?

2 Likes

It’s interesting and exotic to many Americans.

Now, the Queen works very hard on the 67days a year that she works (aside from signing a few papers each morning).

Why, her subjects pay for it of course.

That’s the deal. She gets to be Queen, we pay for it.

I understand that there are worse forms of government. Watery tarts throwing swords at people, for one example…

python monty GIF

10 Likes

blackadder3

8 Likes

Taking a stone from the Scots is pretty much how it has worked since the 13th century.

3 Likes

Will they turn on William at the same time?

Is the Crown Prince always treated as a kind of bad omen, a walking and talking reminder of the mortality of the Monarch?

1 Like

Given the stupendous shitshow that’s been the UK since 2010, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords right now looks like a bloody brilliant basis for a system of government.

11 Likes

I doubt they’ll turn on William, they like him. His brother Harry is the target of their ire.

Frankly, it’s all bloody complicated.

Oh no, it isn’t. William married a white lady, Harry married a black lady.

So their targets are already clearly defined…

10 Likes

Some of them are arguably quite fortunate- World War 2 might have gone differently if Edward VIII was still king.

2 Likes

The king had nothing to do with ww2.

Perhaps you didn’t understand the reference to Edward VIII and his sympathies with Nazism and Hitler:

11 Likes

I think the BBC has given us a hint - are we sure it’s not just the bear that is animated?

3 Likes