"Huge drug bust" at Gatwick Airport was actually vegan cake mix

Holy Crap! They gave it back? It wasn’t drugs, but what if it was terrorist cake mix?

4 Likes

Interesting. I haven’t heard about the alleged Freudian angle, all variations of this story I read where just about making the user add some trivial ingredients so they could kid themselves about having a fresher, self made product.

1 Like

The cake mix was made of vegans not for vegans.

6 Likes

The egg substitute I use when baking for vegans is flax seeds - one tbsp freshly ground mixed with three tbsp water substitutes one egg. I’m sure there are other options but that’s the one I’m familiar with.

Margarine or vegetable oil will do in place of butter. If a recipe calls for milk, just using water would work fine I imagine, with maybe a tiny bit of extra fat. Coconut milk is a good cream replacement. Etc.

2 Likes

I had a vegan cake once. I actually bought it because my brother is allergic to milk casein- so he can’t have a regular store/bakery cake. If I baked at all I could have made a milk free one. But I don’t and he wanted red velvet cake- which usually involves a cream cheese based frosting.
Anyway, it was a little dry but still a good cake. It had some not-wheat flours and applesauce in it. Oh, and coconut milk and oil. Not sure what else.
It was tasty and my brother was happy.

4 Likes

Came for exactly this. Was not disappointed.

I’ve made this vegan cake, which is awesome.

https://www.theppk.com/2013/02/chocolate-yogurt-bundt-cake/

One of her books also has a recipe for the best carrot cake I’ve ever tasted:

8 Likes

In more innocent times, I used to fly UK-Norway via Amsterdam, at least annually with 4 kg of coffee whitener in my suitcase, unlabelled and packed this way. I think I was only stopped once, and a quick explanation (that I was visiting someone who (inexplicably) really liked a brand of whitener unavailable in Norway) was enough; nothing was opened.

Digression: the reverse trip was more dangerous: 2 kg of frozen prawns in my suitcase. My baggage was never lost, but if it had been, rotting shellfish would have been pretty easy to find…

1 Like

On one hand I agree with you, totally…

…and on the other hand, I think the world could do with more graciousness and forgiveness. And taking an opportunity that’s been presented, to educate, with kindness.

4 Likes

Commercial ones often have powdered milk and eggs in them. They could easily make them ‘just add water’ but when they did that they found people didn’t like em because they weren’t doing enough work. So now there’s usually a token requirement of an egg or two etc.

1 Like

I do have a vegan cake recipe, but it’s pure coincidence. It was originally a Depression cake (which you can also find as “crazy cake”), when butter or eggs wouldn’t have been easily obtained.

4 Likes

We make ‘Thunder Cake’ from a kids book recipe? iirc, it was from a Native American cookbook or story? Thunder Cake by Patricia Polacco seems to be the kids book, but the recipe had way more than 1/3 cup of pureed tomatoes? Well, maybe Enkwife would omit the sugar and just use a whole can of pureed tomatoes? It was very good. Just like how if you find a giant zucchini in your garden and make bread out of it, add enough chocolate and the kids will eat it right up.

1 Like

So, powdered styrofoam and plaster dust with sugar thrown in?

i hope they are brought to justice.

Someone’s getting battered

3 Likes

No, just icing.

1 Like

Isa Chandra Moskowitz also did “Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar” and “Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World”

I’ve made at least a dozen of the cookie recipes over the years, never had a bad batch due to the recipe :slight_smile: Peanut butter crisscrosses have been a huge hit every time I make them.

4 Likes

Pretty heavily-processed for that, I’d think, although I’m certainly no expert.

Which Thunderbird did he fly? Amazing resemblance to the Tracy family.

That was 11 years ago. Nowadays, he looks… well; I’ll leave a web search to you.

1 Like