"Huge drug bust" at Gatwick Airport was actually vegan cake mix

Apple sauce can be used in place of eggs (1 cup per 1 egg) and there are almond milk and other vegan/vegetarian milk options

2 Likes

Eggs are not vegan. Nor milk or cream.

2 Likes

So if one were to not label their vegan cake mix and have it searched with a friendly reminder to label then could one bring real drugs and label them “vegan cake mix”?

2 Likes

in college we once tried making a vegan cake by replacing the eggs with peanut butter. it went poorly

Isn’t cocaine technically a vegetable?

10 Likes

I think that the extraction process also uses technically vegan reagents. Although I am not sure anyone eats cement on purpose.

Only Antifa, if you believe the right wing milkshake recipes.

6 Likes

Uh you do realize there are substitutes That Are Vegan for eggs, milk, cream,and all other non-vegan items?

@docosc was replying to this

Technically, isn’t cocaine vegan? :thinking:

3 Likes

Even when cake mixes are vegan in terms of ingredients, most can’t easily be used to make a vegan cake since they’re formulated for the addition of eggs.

1 Like

or greek yogurt or apple sauce instead of eggs LMGTFY:

https://plenteousveg.com/vegan-egg-substitutes-baking/

It’s largely a question of expectations. Yes, there are substitutes, and they really do make fine cakes. Again, she’s a professional baker who often makes more than I do. Comparing her vegan product to her standard, still vegetarian but not vegan product, not the same.

3 Likes

Speak for yourself, but I’ve O.D. On that shit

Interesting. I assumed the times I’d tried to substitute bananas or flaxseed it turned out awful simply because I’m a terrible cook.

This reminded me of the story from Century of the Self about how Betty Crocker came to remove the powdered eggs from the new instant cake mix they were trying to introduce to the market in the 50s. It wasn’t selling well so they turned to some Freudians who concluded that women felt unconscious guilt at the ease of the cake mix. They suggested adding

an instruction on the packet that the housewife should add an egg. It would be an unconscious symbol of the housewife mixing in her own eggs as a gift to her husband to and so would lessen the guilt. Betty Crocker did it and the sales soared.

It kinda tells me more about the psychologists of the era than consumers.

5 Likes

No need to be snarky. I would substitute in a recipe but never with a boxed cake mix. Boxed cake mixes can be dicey at the best of times.

Do the sources of vegan flour have stricter limits on the number of insect parts/rat hairs per kilo than non-vegan sources? ( Currently 3000/20 in FDA regulations, EU might be stricter, but post-Brexit Britain might be desperate for all the dietary rat/insect protein they can get their hands on.)

2 Likes

Truly not trying to be pedantic, but I am knowingly being pedantic. Yogurt is no more vegan than eggs. Applesauce makes a good substitute for oil to decrease calories or fat content, but eggs are used as binders. Applesauce offers no binding capacity. Credit to my wife, Buttercream Dreams, for above info. Baking really not my strong suite!

Eta: off topic, should return to thread topic, please.

3 Likes

Yikes, don’t anyone use 1 cup applesauce per 1 egg, your cake would be soupy!

Per the link you gave later in comment #54, that would be ¼ cup applesauce for 1 egg.

Phew! :slight_smile:

(And, as @docosc gets into just above, it can’t do what an egg does for the cake. Basically, it would replace the moisture you’d lose by omitting the egg.)

4 Likes

What we have here is a vegan baker who can now take suitcases of drugs to the airport without attracting attention.

3 Likes