Hyundai suspends advertising on Twitter after Nazi material runs with ads

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/20/hyundai-suspends-advertising-on-twitter-after-nazi-material-appears-next-to-its-ads.html

6 Likes

Better late than never.

14 Likes

The flag is the flag of North Korea, but 한국 (Hanguk) is South Korea. North Korea calls itself 조선 (Joseon).

Those Atomwaffen idiots can’t do anything right.

25 Likes

They contradict themselves in those two sentences.

“We are immediately removing from the site”
“We are updating our parameters to avoid other instances similar to this”. If you’re leaving, why do you need to change anything? It won’t happen again if you aren’t there.

16 Likes

Despite her reputation as a supposed ad sales genius, I notice that Yaccarino has completely absented herself from the discussions. At this point she’s just collecting a paycheque until the whole thing goes down in flames.

21 Likes

They like North Korea

According to one of the linked articles
“White nationalists and neo-Nazis have held up DPRK as model of racial purity and autarky, despite its Marxist trappings”

12 Likes

Because there are other social media sites where this could happen.

14 Likes

venture-you-nazis

21 Likes

By the way, Media Matters’ attorneys are somewhere throwing a party right now. Musk sued them for defamation over their story that Nazi posts could run with ads on Xitter. Musk’s claim is that Media Matters intentionally manipulated the algorithm, following certain specific accounts in order to make that happen, and that it wasn’t possible for this to happen through normal use of the site. This story provides Media Matters with a rock solid defense to defamation: that what they said was true.

33 Likes

Well then they better get that shit straight. You can get arrested in North Korea for calling the country Hanguk instead of Joseon.

14 Likes

It could be a short term/long term situation.

If your faucet starts leaking, the short term workaround for the immediate problem is to shut off the water valve. That’s “We are immediately removing from the site”.

But then you fix the leak as the long-term solution. If they want to continue showing ads on X, “We are updating our parameters to avoid other instances similar to this” could be an attempt to fix the leak in preparation for resuming showing ads on X.

5 Likes

I would welcome their one way trip to North Korea.

14 Likes

I don’t know how much actual Marxism is left in Juche, North Korea went far-right a long time ago. Just like Russia did.

14 Likes

They’re pausing ads, not leaving. Nazi content isn’t a dealbreaker for them, they just don’t want to be seen right next to it where it’s obvious they’re helping support it with their advertising dollars. They’re either going to try to prevent that truth from being seen again in the future or just wait a month until it blows over and go right back to business as usual. Any brand that’s still advertising on X is worth boycotting IMO (though without articles like this, I wouldn’t know which brands those were).

16 Likes

Musk has a real problem, because he’s rebuilding the site around blue check mark accounts, and although they aren’t all nazis, they disproportionately are. They get the most visibility, they’re the ones getting ad sharing revenue (if that ever happens), etc. so it guarantees that advertisers will see their ads next to nazi posts.

I remain confused by Elno’s lawsuit, as even Musk seemed to acknowledge that what they said was true - he just seemed to be claiming that they artificially made it more likely, not that it couldn’t happen organically.

10 Likes

Their development towards hereditary monarchy is about as not-Marxist as it gets. Horseshoe Theory incarnate.

9 Likes

I’ve been shouting for years into the Unlistening Void that nk isn’t communist, it’s a family-run fascist dictatorship.

15 Likes

Uh Huh Yes GIF by CBC

Also… obligatory…

13 Likes

“We are currently reconsidering our ad buys on Truth Social” perhaps?

8 Likes

Yah, see Elon… you can’t have 100% free speech AND be a viable avenue to run ads by people with money.

4chan is a free speech hellhole, but Forturne 500 companies aren’t advertising there. You “hiding” problematic tweets obviously isn’t working if ads are appearing by them. And no one wants their ad running near Nazi tweets.

You fucking idiot.

12 Likes