I found a locked safe hidden at the back of a closet in my new house

I locked myself out of my bedroom a couple years ago.

I tried to pick the lock, but was having very little luck.

Then I took a closer look at the doorframe and noticed that the light from inside the room was shining in the space between the door and the frame: the piece of wood that was supposed to prevent someone from just shoving a credit card in there and releasing the latch either wasn’t wide enough, or the door was just slightly too small for the frame.

So I shoved a credit card in and released the latch. After spending about an hour trying to pick the lock, it was literally a matter of Shove, click, pop and open in under a second.

As relieved as I was, I was like, “Really? I spent an hour at this, and that was the solution?”

12 Likes

Get your money’s worth – interview them while they work to see what makes them tick, or if they have a chink.

• Do they use their bathroom door locks?
  • Favorite tool?
  • Scariest customer?
  • Personal challenges they haven’t mastered?
  • Most common locksmith injury? Most gruesome?
  • What do they think is likely to be in the safe?

If they are willing to chat, tip them well.

15 Likes

When the mechanism is faced the opposite direction you’ll need a wire or coat hanger hook to pop it open.

These days it seems most homes have generic easy-to-open locks for rooms inside the house. At my parents place i can open locked doors with a penny

2 Likes

Most of the locks in my place are like that, but the master bedroom actually has a keyed lock.

2 Likes

I know this. There’s an old joke I like, where the punchline is something like “Knocking the dent out of your car door with one knock: 50¢. Thirty years’ experience in knocking dents out: $199.50.”

I wasn’t complaining, just observing the effect of having £100 disappear with one swift movement. I learnt my lesson, and the next time I locked myself out utilized the aluminium of a beer can for a similar manoeuvre. (It would have been smarter to not lock myself out, but I’m not that smart.)

14 Likes

My partner is a mechanic, and he tells a variation on that story on the reg. Mostly, when someone has spent hours and hours trying to do something it takes him minutes to accomplish. Specifically he tells it when he presents the bill.

11 Likes

One of my art teachers told us a story of… Michelangelo i think? Maybe Da Vinci… where he was on the road traveling and some random guy hounded him for a sketch or portrait. Eventually he relented, whipped up a drawing in seemingly no time and told the guy to pay him his usual fee. The guy balked at the price saying it took him so little time and he told him it was because he’d spent years to be that fast.

11 Likes
15 Likes

I think you can find a good one using the google:

10 Likes

We’re down to the wire here, aren’t we?

Bust it open @beschizza !

8 Likes

wheeling it out today. Gotta pop off that baseboard

18 Likes

You’ve had how long and you’ve yet to pop the baseboard off and pull the safe out.

Your priorities are really screwed up.

16 Likes

So it’s really happening?

20 Likes

So are we here?

Or here?

9 Likes

17 Likes

@beschizza

It’s past Monday in all of the Time Zones I’m familiar with. Even encroaching into Wednesday for parts of the Globe.

SO…

What’s in the safe?

7 Likes
4 Likes

https://i0.wp.com/agilescout.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/developer-agile-procrastination.gif?resize=360%2C203

12 Likes
10 Likes

To be fair, he only said he’d call a locksmith.

“Yeah, 24-hour locksmiths?”

“Hi, could you open a safe for me?”

“Anyone trapped inside?”

"Um - no - "

“Nuclear codes? Secret papers which would prevent a disastrous marriage?”

"I - I don’t think - "

“Friday.” click

28 Likes