I found a locked safe hidden at the back of a closet in my new house

I don’t smoke, but I kinda covet Daffy’s ashtray.

5 Likes

The only two things I really miss about smoking are the tiny but satisfying physical skill of rolling a cigarette, and all those associated tchotchkes. I’ve kept a nice brass ashtray, though nobody’s used it in years.

6 Likes

Just shopping around.

16 Likes

Affordability? Angie’s List rating? Firepower? Discretion?

Tooth-to-tattoo ratio?

17 Likes

Surest way of picking a good locksmith is by nickname.
If no-one actually knows their real name and their nickname is incredibly bland, such as “The Gent” or “Mme. Brown” then you’ve got a top-quality professional.

19 Likes

I’m partial to “Smitty,” myself.

5 Likes

Well, yeah. That goes without saying. But you’d need an introduction from Fingers, first. Has @beschizza got the connections?

7 Likes

I’ve heard that AAA Locksmith guy is pretty good, maybe only second to AAAA Locksmith.

14 Likes

I hear _AAA Locksmith is better than AAAA…

5 Likes

Right, I want to save the safe – it’s vintage! Any old joe could just come along with a thermal lance or whatever and rip it open. What if there are rare butterflies inside?

21 Likes

5 Likes

Perhaps it’s Schrodinger’s Safe and the Butterflies are simultaneously Alive and causing Hurricanes AND Dead on the grill of my truck.

Be somewhere safe when the waveform collapses

8 Likes

There isn’t really a safe is there, Rob?

It’s just a photo. You probably grabbed a random photo of a safe off the Internet.

You’ve just been messing with us all along, haven’t you, trying to see what kind of fools we are to fall for the siren song again.

Today the charade ends! We stand up and say, “We do not believe in your phony safe!

But you’ll tell us if you do get it open, right?

14 Likes

Well, if any Boinger was going to punk us, it would be Tony Clifton Rob… :smiley:

4 Likes

What if the safe itself is a rare butterfly? It could be DB Coopers personal safe! Or hand crafted by a Sasquatch! Or one of those Harry Potter McGuffins that you need to find to defeat evil! What about the evil!?

Least ways even if its not empty the safe stands a good chance of being more valuable than whatever’s inside. Even should it contain objects of arcane power. Black magic doesn’t hold resale value, too many curses and provisos.

3 Likes

11 Likes

The view count for this thread is probably more valuable than the contents of the safe. Why ruin a good thing by opening it? Once Sam and Diane finally get together, the tension is over…

7 Likes

There are no ads in BBS land. Unless people are navigating here via the original article there’s no additional revenue from action here VS views on the original page. Which is a weird aspect of the shift from in article comments to discussion board I never considered till now.

But that of course assumes “value” in purely monetary terms. If the contents are swirling with dark power the benefits to opening it are nearly immeasurable.

7 Likes

The thief was Foussard.

4 Likes

…cat burglar…

Suggesting a third alternative to Schrödinger’s paradox.

5 Likes