I Ordered a Hot Dog from Burger King and

Cracker Barrel is decent enough for gotta pull off the road for food… But waffle house? Well could be worse could be Perkins.

3 Likes

Could be a Bob Evans!! (I got BERY angry i a Bob Evans in Florida once. I will not return!)

1 Like

Because sometimes, you’re poor.

6 Likes

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

9 Likes

Steak-Umm is great. It’s essentially a prefab slice of beef that I always assume are just slaughterhouse sweepings, chopped and formed into a slab like particle board. A box includes six double-thick Steak-Umms, and I use two per sammich. I think that box of six goes for like five bucks or so. And it’s effort-free. I used to fry 'em up in a pan, but sometimes I’ll just break each frozen slab into four quadrants and microwave 'em in a bowl for 60 seconds per side, then drain the grease. Tear a Kraft single into two to fit longitudinally on the sammich and your old man’s sibling goes by Robert.

Sounds horrific, tastes just groovy.

13 Likes

Gotta say, sounds pretty good to me.

6 Likes

Do you use a safety razor or one of those 7-blade cartridge razors?

Convenience. If you keep a box in the freezer you know that at any moment you can crank out an emergency cheesesteak in a few minutes.

8 Likes

Chili and lime Doritos are a thing that exists??? I suspect they’re not quite as good as the chili and lime Sabrositas that Fritos used to make, but I’ll take what I can get. Maybe this is a thing I need to have my parents in San Diego look for.

3 Likes

Our cheapass dinners were the Banquet boil-in-bag turkey & gravy over white bread. Not Wonder, though. That was the expensive bread.

7 Likes

I definitely am unmonied, so I can relate. But my experiences have always been that packaged and processed foods only appear to be cheaper because they fill it with something else which I would never want. Like meat + sawdust, cheese + vegetable oil, etc.

There is always some ingredient/convenience tradeoff. But if it’s a food I am not familiar with, I wonder what it is.

But I already do that anyway…

3 Likes

Oh man an open face turkey sandwich is such wonderful stuff… too bad it is also not the heathiest thing to have.

2 Likes

Same same! Sabritos = Fritos Lay = Doritos!!
All the same company depending on geography!

If.you are in the SW USA its Fritos Lay.
And Chili Lime is a delicious delicious thing!

6 Likes

Oh, no doubt. But chronically being poor tends to mean you buy what you can afford, and for most people that’s cheap stuff like steak-umms.

4 Likes

Wow! I haven’t had one of those in… decades! As a kid we also enjoyed Banquet TV dinners from time to time.

For what it’s worth, Steak-Umms are 100% beef. They’re coy about exactly which bits of cow you’re eating, but apparently it’s all cow.

10 Likes

The Doritos I believe I can get…but I’ll want to eat them. Lime is as addictive for me as dill. (Waffle House and Cracker Barrel? ::face palm:: Oof-da.)

@TobinL: That’d be approximately north of the 43rd for me, bub. Windsor is south of Detroit.

4 Likes

I heard tell of a city boy born and raised there.

11 Likes

:rage: Oh, you…

[edt] I have, IRL, shouted “Windsor” at that point in that stupid song at Joe Lewis Arena (i.e.- at Red Wings games) several times. Even a good chunk of the born-n-bred locals can’t seem to make the connection in spite of Detroit news only ever coving east, west and north.

6 Likes

Look we just dont have a place to get shredded fried potatoes with chocolate chip waffles ok? Not a chain anyways. And NO WHERE here does chicken and dumplings and collard greens with vinegar! Thats not a thing here! Also dry restaurants? Thats just fuckig adorable!

7 Likes

We too, used to get steak-umms when I was a scamp. I still remember how they taste, but I haven’t had them in years…

3 Likes

I was tickled to discover them in my local Ralphs about ten years ago. Before then, I hadn’t seen them since the Reagan Administration.

I have some in my freezer even now.

5 Likes