I Ordered a Hot Dog from Burger King and

What have you started?

17 Likes

What is the proper topping for a corndog?

I think that my favorite is sriracha.
Back when I was single and always had a giant box of frozen corndogs, I would make a spicy sun dried tomato sauce that I would put on 'em.

9 Likes

14 Likes

In the interest of fair and balanced gifing…

8 Likes

We all know how to eat a hot dog…

15 Likes

Chloe made me LOL

12 Likes

17 Likes

Well, technically it is whatever flavor you relish. Traditional conventions tend to favor the savory spectrum.

Damn straight! The sweet versions were probably pushed in the US because of corn (syrup) subsidies, like most of the sticky oversweetened foods here.

True, but I would contend that hot dogs are in the lesser range of meats, as concerns both taste and nutrition. Much of the appeal I think is that they are cheap, with flavor and texture mild enough to encourage experimenting with condiments. But condiments I think should be considered for their nutrition as well.

Garum and “Gentleman’s Relish” are both made from fish, which is probably more nutritious than the hot dog itself. I would entirely try tapenade on hot dogs, except that since hot dogs are rather salty, I try to avoid using condiments which are also salty. My favorite “relish” is probably Indian hot pickles, such as Bedekar’s. These involve things such as mango and/or lime and/or chili preserved in salt and mustard oil. Incredibly tasty, but IMO again too salty for hot dogs.

4 Likes

I have the T-shirt.

24 Likes

Calamari?

12 Likes

Totally off topic, but I have this on my wall at work right next to the Credible Hulk. :slight_smile:

18 Likes

Seems like a waste of both good pork and good duck to me.

4 Likes

French’s “yellow mustard” is soooooooooo boring.

If proffered a hotdog and either yellow mustard or ketchup I’ll choose ketchup, unless there are additional toppings(and then it’s a toss up).

If the option of mayo exists it’ll be mustard-n-mayo.

The best mustard is

To bad they still don’t use the cork stopper.

While in Budapest somebody had a Ukrainian mustard with a healthy dose of horseradish in it - like a wasabi kick-in-the-head. Could never find it again.

13 Likes

That’s not really fair. He’d probably cut it up with his knife to make it easier to give some to his daughter Nancy before abandoning her in the pub. Anyway, knife and fork is simply a respectful way to eat a dish made out something you had sex with at university.

13 Likes

That makes me wonder why there are at least three different types of mustard in my local grocery store but only one ketchup.

If there were more ketchups there might not be a debate over its appropriateness.

13 Likes

I may have nightmares from this gif.

4 Likes

A friend on a work trip to Estonia told me the same thing about Finnish and Estonian mustards. Just sinus-clearing pungency. Must be a northeastern European thing.

3 Likes

12 Likes

Nooooo! Please…

3 Likes

I’ve noticed a few esoteric ketchup recipes pop up here, and I’ve just got to plug The Joy of Pickling. It has some great sauce and old style ketchup (like mushroom and walnut) recipes. Chatcuterie by Ruhlman also has some solids, and while I’m thinking about sauce it is worth noting that deconstructing Yumm sauce is a very worthy endeavor.

Sauce.

5 Likes