Illinois police say legalizing weed will result in euthanization of drug-sniffing dogs

Aren’t quite a lot of them spaniels? I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a spaniel sitting calmly.

1 Like

The euphemismist.

2 Likes

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/09/fetch-mj-fetch.html

3 Likes

I think the most surprising part of this is the cop abbreviating it to MJ. Is there a subreddit for police ents?

2 Likes

Dogs on MJ:
“Wow, I never realized before how amazing my paw looks”
“Is that a squirrel? Hi pretty squirrel. Peace.”
“Kibble? I could really eat some kibble right now. Or a dog biscuit. Mmm, dog biscuits.”

ETA: my brain isn’t working well this morning, please submit more suggestions for stuff dogs would say while high on pot.
ETA2: my partner suggested some additional sayings. More suggestions still welcome.

15 Likes

I totally agree that the argument that the dogs would just go bonkers with all the false positives because of thier training to respond to a particular stimulus.

It’s not like a group of people trained to shoot guns go around just shooting people…oh. wait.

10 Likes

My dog friend is on board, and she ain’t doggy footing around.

2 Likes

“Why do I have to chase that guy down? It’s just a package of mints.”
“Are you serious? He doesn’t even fit the description.”
“You know what, human partner? Sometimes you can really be a stick in the mud.”

4 Likes

HROOM in the name of the law!

2 Likes

“they are just well trained dogs that like to play fetch.”

Awesome.

2 Likes

My dog goes crazy over any poop, squirrel corpse or any other smelly thing out there. She loves them.

3 Likes

Christ, what an asshole.

2 Likes

Yeah, living in Boulder, Colorado, where we officially don’t have dog owners but have dog “guardians,” if anyone had even considered the possibility of legalizing pot causing the PD to have to euthanize their drug dogs, it would have made the news for months. it’s totally not a thing.

2 Likes

BBers on MJ:

2 Likes

Thanks for that tip.

They seem to have started a new BB account just to promote their website, which is the only search result that mentions anything of the kind. If this were real I’m sure PETA and others would have been all over it years ago. Besides once knowing a K9 cop personally (and their totally good boy!) I also know several breeders who provide dogs for training and would never have done so if anything like this were happening.

4 Likes

Seems to me the obverse would be even more true

1 Like

Eeep, no!

How did you learn this?

got real high with that dogs owner

nasty hick neighbor v. un-fenceable border collie.

Thanks for raising this. I was not aware. I guess I assume to much of police dog handlers.

F%$& anyone who hurts dogs.

1 Like