In crazy tweet, Trump blames Bob Woodward for 190,000 coronavirus deaths (and counting)

got the answer for your “question” right here, donni-schmolli;

First, he didn’t know what the source of Trump’s information was. It wasn’t until months later — in May — that Woodward learned it came from a high-level intelligence briefing. In February, what Trump told Woodward seemed hard to make sense of — back then, Woodward said, there was no panic over the virus; even toward the final days of that month, Anthony S. Fauci was publicly assuring Americans there was no need to change their daily habits.

Second, Woodward said, “the biggest problem I had, which is always a problem with Trump, is I didn’t know if it was true.”

7 Likes

And while reasonable people (read: not Trump) may debate Woodward’s wisdom in waiting to publish this information, out of those two only Trump has a constitutional duty to protect Americans.

20 Likes

Is it possible to have a more “whataboutism” response?

Sure, I, the president of the United States, failed abjectly in my duty to protect the American people… but what about that reporter over there who didn’t tell everyone about my failure right away, huh? What about him?

Hell, at least Woodward told us eventually. I’m sure Trump would have been happy to let us in on his secret without this book coming out.

13 Likes

woodward should have known better, whereas Trump…

2 Likes

26 Likes

It’s a Discourse problem, apparently, according to orenwolf. Has been going on for a month or so. Just how hard it would be for someone to help Xeni find out what she’s doing different to the others and stop it remains an obvious question. Especially as Seamus was doing it very briefly too (but has not posted recently, I think). At this stage I have little faith Discourse are going to find a fix seeing as it is so specific to a particular user and not on all her posts either (or is it?) so what ever different methods she uses for posting vs what others use, would seem to be the area to zone in on. But on we go, trying to find the relevant thread in the BBS, and sometimes it doesn’t even appear there until a lot of comments have appeared.

3 Likes

Because catching Trump in a lie would be such a rare and momentous event that everyone would surely take action to protect themselves against him.

Trump has normalized disastrous self interest so much that I have trouble wrapping my head around why anyone now cares about discovering lie 20,001.

2 Likes

THAT’S IT! I AM NOT voting for Bob Woodward for President!!!

13 Likes

So, Trump is going flat out, unbounded to burn everything to the ground. Today he blames Bob woodward for all those ‘unnecessary deaths’. The difference being, Bob Woodward is NOT the president of the United fucking States. My schadenfreude regarding Trump, Barr and all those other sycophantic cretins like Jim Jordan is through the roof. I actually want all these people to suffer. There, I said it. I am unable to see past November. I’m so sick of this C**t.

10 Likes
23 Likes

Like running the news in February would have let’s say inspired Donnie to do anything different. Even though Woodward shouldn’t have sat on the story, again, it wouldn’t have changed anything.
Maybe to the contrary: Given that the establishment media have a problem calling Trump a killer even though tens of thousands of Americans are dead because of his fear of a bad look, maybe having the run less than two months before the election instead of February maybe will be a good thing.

1 Like

I can think of at least two ways the pandemic in the US could have played out differently had Trump treated it seriously from the start.

• He could have nationalized the availability of PPE to emergency personnel nationwide, instead of forcing individual states to scramble for it, and pay whatever price unscrupulous vendors were charging early on.
  • We wouldn’t be having this “debate” with anti-maskers if he had made it a national mandate.

I’m all for Trump looking awful, especially this close to the election, but not at the cost of nearly 200,000 lives.

10 Likes

here’s the question i want reporters to ask: “given what you said to woodward, how can americans trust what you say on issues like right wing violence and russian interference in the election? how do we know you’re not lying just to keep people calm? and if so, how can we trust anything you say?”

13 Likes

Let’s be clear that “unscrupulous vendors” really means Jared Kushner, his family, and friends.

4 Likes

woodward

12 Likes

You’re engaging in a fantasy. There’s no way Trump would have changed his mind once he chose vanity. I know it makes no sense big picture-wise but you’re discussing a seriously pathological person, not anyone remotely normal (whatever that means).

1 Like

Those are in fact very old questions and Rage is irrelevant to that.

Trump is a life long liar and con man.

Rage changes nothing about that fact.

1 Like

Perhaps Trump thought he was confiding with L. Ron Hubbard, conman to conman?

4 Likes

It’s like if, in The Usual Suspects, Verbal Klimt had worn a T-shirt the entire movie that said “I’m Kaiser Soze!”

7 Likes

Thanks, Woodward.

1 Like