In-N-Out donates $25,000 to California Republican Party, under Trump. There's a boycott.

I miss White Castle and the frozen ones are not the same thing. They are okay as far as I know.

1 Like

Shame, I actually like In n Out (regular burgers and fries are whatever but when you make them animal style they’re amazing). But I certainly won’t support them if they’re giving money to trumpkins.

Btw, a fave chain of mine that i miss is Good Times Burgers & Frozen Custard. If you’re in Colorado seek them out, it’s so good. It’s a small chain that uses really good ingredients, super fresh beef and the custard is great.

5 Likes

I ate at White Castle just once, as an adult. I’m afraid the experience convinced me that many of our burger chain loyalties are based on personal nostalgia rather than any objective measure of the burgers’ quality.

13 Likes

I’ve never seen a white castle besides as frozen patties in a Walmart. Which says it all. Curious to try it but I’ve universally heard it sucks, not a single friend of mine has ever talked about it with fondness

I’ve had In-N-Out two or three times. Kinda meh. There are absolutely better burger shops. (Giant Hamburgers in Mesa, Arizona is one; not a lot of seating, and it’s almost always busy, but the food is fantastic, and it has that ‘old-school’ diner vibe going for it.)

Chik-fil-a is… okay? it’s pretty hard to mess up chicken. (although there are a few places I’ve been to that have!)

I’ve only been to Five guys… twice? maybe three times? since the franchise came into Arizona. It’s good stuff, but I don’t know where their politics are. (and usually when I’m looking for somewhere to eat, I generally don’t care unless it’s something super egregious.)

1 Like

They are a unique taste. But 6 castles, cheese fries and a mix (orange and pepsi) were a monthly staple in my younger days.

5 Likes

Anyone here eat at Rally’s or Checkers? It’s been at least 10 years since I’ve had one and everywhere I’ve moved to didn’t have one nearby. Curious how their food is like these days (if it’s still good or not)

4 Likes

In In-N-Out’s defense, they compensate their workers much better than competitors like McDonalds/Burger King. A boycott may be too harsh. I would favor a severe reprimand.

7 Likes

Those have always been remarkably effective in capitalist systems. /s

6 Likes

There used to be one down the street when I lived in a seedier area of St. Louis. They had good burgers. There are none to be had in Seattle but then as I said above there are plenty of excellent non national chain choices.

4 Likes

I did, back when I still lived in Ohio.

5 Likes

I had candy cane red and white interior and a CJ-7 Cruise-o-matic transmission on a 390. Was a rolling living room.

7 Likes

Many of their business practices are much better than most of the industry. The author of Fast Food Nation even gave them a shout out at the end of the book as an example of fast food done right.

That’s part of why their endorsement of the GOP is so disappointing.

14 Likes

In-n-Out has always been a Christian company, so supporting Evangelical candidates in California isn’t at all surprising. It doesn’t really compare to the Chik-fil-A situation, as they were raising money through their charity to specifically support ballot issues to fight same-sex marriage; they are virulently anti-LGBT.

10 Likes

That, um, appears to have been extruded by our president.

1 Like

Another one that has bible thump quotes in its packaging is Alaska Airlines. It’s been a long time I flew with them, do they still do that? I’m suspicious of any person, corporate or human, that drops their teeny little evangelity into their customers’ laps like that.

Back to in-n-out, yeah, their grub is meh. Haven’t been in years. I’ve never even been to a chick-n-filet because I knew decades ago they were high rollin’ thumpers. We’ve been diggin’ 5 guys lately, but I’m more for the local stuff, like Kirks Steakburgers on Bascom or Classic Burger on LG Blvd. Better yet, the ground beef that Costco sells by the 6 lb package, I patty those up, throw them on the grill and even my kids’ friends luv 'em! No baby jesus or other fillers!

What’s the point of the “under Trump” in the headline, other than clickbait?

The company clearly donated to the California Republican Party, and has donated to the California Democratic Party this year as well.

Neither of these are financially attached to their respective national party organizations. Both deal with California candidates and issues.

Conflating support for the state Republican Party with Trumpism is akin to claiming that support for the state Democratic Party in the late 90s was a show of support for the impeached alleged sexual predator in the White House at that time.

5 Likes

I’m not buying that that instrument configuration is original, or the petals or the fart vents or the wheel.
I mean, are they?

1 Like

Meh - not enough people care. I can’t recall the last time a boycott worked other than on a single “mom and pop” type store.

Quit shopping at just about everywhere, as just about every large corporate entity will be giving money to Rs and Ds. Just steal what you need.

1 Like

I gotta call you on Cookout. They’re good, but they’re not Char-Grill good. Also, their menu is too confusing. (I can get behind the 60 flavors of shakes though.)

1 Like