In the chaos of the Muslim ban, the rule of man trumps the rule of law

Pence wouldn’t last. He doesn’t have the same “charisma” that enlivened Trump voters.

He’s like the Maduro to Trump’s Chavez.

2 Likes

There may be one guy who has a reason or two.

8 Likes

Xeni appears to disagree with you.

2 Likes

Then she’s wrong. Preventing the deportation of people who are already in the airport is not the same as letting them on the plane. From the NY Times article she linked to:

The ruling does not appear to force the administration to let in people otherwise blocked by Mr. Trump’s order who have not yet traveled to the United States.

4 Likes

Then there’s this, which came after:

Release Date: January 29, 2017
For Immediate Release
Office of the Press Secretary

WASHINGTON – The Department of Homeland Security will continue to enforce all of President Trump’s Executive Orders in a manner that ensures the safety and security of the American people. President Trump’s Executive Orders remain in place—prohibited travel will remain prohibited, and the U.S. government retains its right to revoke visas at any time if required for national security or public safety. President Trump’s Executive Order affects a minor portion of international travelers, and is a first step towards reestablishing control over America’s borders and national security.

ETA: This gives me the impression that they’re ignoring the judge’s ruling completely. Is that impression wrong?

13 Likes

20 Likes

There’s over 1 billion Muslims in the world.

13 Likes

I’d agree, but also note that it did cause chaos around the globe, since people were (or planed to be) en route to the US from places all over, and are now screwed, not to mention the people who’ve been sent back.

8 Likes

This from the Whitehouse a few minutes ago … looks like it’s heading for a showdown.

13 Likes

Gong show.

15 Likes

Hey, not to worry, I’m sure they’ll all recognize “the winning” that’s happening and immediately jump on board. Oh…wait:

Until the U.S. ban is lifted, Iran decided "to respond in kind after the insulting decision of the United States concerning Iranian nationals," the Dawn newspaper said, quoting the Iranian foreign ministry's statement reportedly carried by the state television. (Source: USMuslims.com)
Remember *any* goodwill towards America generated by Obama in the international community? Well that's pretty much just been shit on.
19 Likes

(Except for Muslim countries President Trump has business interests in, of course.)

Funny how Saudi Arabia, the country 17 of the 19 9/11 terrorists came from, never makes the list - not for a war of retaliation, nor for Trump’s “dangerous Muslim countries” ban. :unamused:

22 Likes

The main objective of this executive order isn’t to prevent terrorism, or even to effectively ban Muslims entering the United States. It’s to flip the bird at Muslims and progressives in solidarity with them, and thereby create a protest spectacle for the troll army. How well it actually succeeds as an immigration ban is of secondary importance.

Political theater and governance normally coexist, but under Trump, it’s all all theater—or rather, reality TV. I call it “Celebrity Apprentice: Washington.” Impeachment would be non-trivial insofar as it would deprive the show of its star and replace him with someone who (I think) still holds to the convention that presidents should try to govern effectively. The risk, however, is that Pence might actually be effective at doing what he wants to do.

The question in the air is whether Americans will decide that they like being governed by a reality television show, or whether they’ll eventually get sick of a president who only play acts at solving their problems.

6 Likes

And through the Examiner, too, rag that it is:

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Washington_Examiner#Political_slant

1 Like

Even Ken is getting in on the action:

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/825531165750603776

10 Likes

the rule of flaw

Best freudian slip I’ve heard in months.

13 Likes

No, it’s not.

12 Likes

Thanks. I thought I’d heard things very much like your post, but it’s all happening so fast, it’s hard to keep track.

6 Likes

Oh, so travel between the 31 US states still having capital punishment to the 19 without is also restricted? Or only to those states that actually exercise it?

8 Likes

They’re currently holding a BBC UK/Iranian dual national reporter at Chicago IL. He’s saying that he’s being held in a room with an Iranian green card holder as of now

8 Likes