In the chaos of the Muslim ban, the rule of man trumps the rule of law

The same press release says DHS will comply with judicial orders, so… maybe that impression is wrong? Who knows what these people mean by anything they say or whether they mean any of it?

3 Likes

You’re silly. We only execute guilty people. Not Christians.

11 Likes

They’re trying to have it both ways. But ignore what they say. Look at what they are doing. They are ignoring the judge’s order:

Hat tip to @wrecksdart up above

6 Likes

This is so effed up.

OT: With a Trump presidency there are so many posts I want to “like” for being insightful, but I want a different reaction than a “heart”. I do not “love” that green card holders are being imprisoned at airports. There’s going to be a lot of crap in the coming years I’ll feel the same way about…

12 Likes

The proof is that a disproportionate number of the people we execute are brown! Defiantly not Christians!

/s

:frowning:

4 Likes

Whenever people would look at me and say, “This is it. It’s happening. We’re seeing the beginning of profound, awful changes in the US,” I would think, “I know Trump is a horrible Goblin baby—and utterly unsuited to the job—but he won’t actually be able to do what the people in his inner circle want.”

Now I’m not so sure. In only a week, he has managed to scare the shit out of me.

19 Likes

.[quote=“Footface, post:67, topic:93877”]
“I know Trump is a horrible Goblin baby—and utterly unsuited to the job—but he won’t actually be able to do what the people in his inner circle want.”
[/quote]

Rule 1: Believe the autocrat.

24 Likes

But he said so much unbelievable shit. He’s not going to build the stupid wall and have Mexico pay for it. He’s not able to deport all undocumented residents. He has no plan “to defeat ISIS.” He can’t bring back all those coal jobs. He can’t just decide to lock Hillary up. He doesn’t actually respect women.

Maybe the rule should be: Just because an autocrat spouts bullshit doesn’t mean it’s all bullshit.

4 Likes

I’d say “believe the autocrat’s worst intentions” rather than “believe the autocrat”. We should never believe Trump, except to the extent that he will try to do the worst of what he says.

12 Likes

Along with @Skeptic’s take, we have to believe trump will try to remedy these imaginary things he’s mentioned without regard to the cost/truth/functionality/ramifications etc etc. It’s Bannon/Miller’s world now, we’re just renting space in it.

7 Likes

On a temporarily lighter note: that tweet led me to this one:

26 Likes

That would be a remarkable turn of events. Maybe we can petition Twitter, in the national interest, to shut down his account?

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/jeffreygoldberg/status/825749068479655938

Oh, that’s much better than not mentioning them at all.

16 Likes

It gets better. This ban would not have stopped any of the 9/11 hijackers, it would not have stopped the “shoe bomber”, it would not have stopped either of the Tsarnaev brothers, and it would not have stopped either of the San Bernadino shooters.

This action has all of the positive aspects of Security Theater (i.e. none) and a shitload of negatives.

23 Likes

I disagree. He’s more like the Putin to Trump’s Gorbachev

3 Likes

I’m going with Bobu to our Cheez Whiz Ceaușescu

5 Likes

Of all the traits of the people in US death row, “guilty” is probably not the most common one. It’s probably even less common than “christian”…

6 Likes

… and all of them want to travel to the USA? Fascinating.

I’d guess “black.”

Or maybe “mentally ill.”

2 Likes

Is this contrarian schtick fulfilling for you?

17 Likes