Influencer receives backlash after telling Home Depot worker: "Go back to your country"

Originally published at: Influencer receives backlash after telling Home Depot worker: "Go back to your country" | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Social media can normalize terrible behavior, but it is wonderful when there are consequences for influencers when they publish their terrible behavior.

Do the consequences lead to a change in behavior or do the consequences largely lead those people to interact with people that think and act like them, reinforcing the behavior and the idea that they are persecuted? Are there any studies on this?

23 Likes

My goodness, she’s completely insufferable even without the homophobia and racism!

34 Likes

I got whiplash.

31 Likes

Man, Amy Sedaris’ new show is terrible.

20 Likes

go back to tiktockton or instaville or whatever backwater network you crawled out from.

10 Likes

I wonder how many followers I could get if I started posting my everyday boring but pleasant interactions with others.

I could encourage others to do the same.

Watch as influencer has a normal interaction with the checkout clerk at grocery store.

Or

Watch as influencer’s credit card is denied so he just apologizes and pays with cash.

Or

Watch as influencer gets wrong carry out order at understaffed restaurant and then waits patiently for order and still leaves tip.

What you think? Four followers?

52 Likes

As an atheist, I’m sending all my prayers.

17 Likes

What the holy F#@$ was that?

And she makes a living at being a terrible person?

5 Likes

That’s not a customer, that’s human garbage. And anyone who agrees with her is equally trash.

9 Likes

And I thought run-of-the-mill social media “influencers” were wastes of oxygen. If there’s one thing the past 8 years has confirmed for me, it’s that there are some people willing to keep digging once they hit rock bottom.

18 Likes

Studies show public shaming of anti-social behavior does change that behavior.

ETA: money quote from a study on public shaming in response to stealing:

Behaviorally, we show that stealing decreases significantly when shaming is introduced. More importantly, the emotional response at the time of decision strongly correlates with behavior. In particular, subjects who are more aroused are more likely to steal in the first condition, and also more likely to stop stealing in the second condition.

In other words, the more “thrilling” the bad behavior, the more it is curtailed by public shaming.

23 Likes

Someone wiser than I once pointed out, “life’s hard enough without someone going around being an asshole.” My corollary(? or whatever) is that there are enough assholes running around without paying someone to be one.

10 Likes

i’m already following.
have you a newsletter to which i could perhaps subscribe?

23 Likes

This is why I will never, ever work a retail job again in my life. I have lately become incredibly intolerant of this shit, and would most likely end up assaulting a customer. A racist, homophobic customer, most likely.

10 Likes

It’s just so weird and blows my mind to see someone so young, Gen z? with tattoos and what not just spewing such racist/homophobic garbage. I always think/hear well the younger generation is less bigoted. I guess I need to remind myself less doesn’t mean not at all.

10 Likes

Sounds like an awesome reason to pick up a side job in retail, if you ask me. Need more folks who are financially in a position and also willing to unload on entitled/racist/homophobic customers.

6 Likes

i think you’d blow up huge, actually. do a search for “wholesome memes” and you’ll find lots of interest in such things.

4 Likes

… go back to your country!

This is what people say when they want to get a reaction from a foreigner and use it against them. This is exactly what she was going for.

I really hope none of the HD employees receive any punishment whatsoever, and I hope this human garbage is banned from all their stores.

1 Like

My favorite part is the unironic statement of “Respect is earned, not given.”

So, maybe earn their respect instead of going into a racist, homophobic rant.

8 Likes