Infuriated NY shoppers scream at woman for not wearing mask

Sure. Ravioli and other stuffed pastas, along with pastas more like fresh homemade rather than dry pastas.

3 Likes

Yeah, we’re 50/50 on masks up here in the north. It was pretty good until we Reopened Ohio and I’m waiting another week or so to see our second spike. I have been to a grocery store only once since February, last week, and will never shop again. I was very close to yelling at people, and was raging by the time I got thru the checkout line due to no masks and no distancing at all; no one paid attention to the one-way signs except me & one other shopper.
I’m back to hiding in my apartment.

12 Likes

Just because you have a right to be a selfish asshole doesn’t mean you have an obligation to be a selfish asshole.

I’m Canadian and I try to refrain from participating in the national pastime of taking cheap shots at our southern neighbours (we have enough of our own problems) but with this pandemic, it really seems like in certain parts of the US showing any kind of consideration for your fellow citizens is now considered unpatriotic.

Edited to add: of course, this wasn’t directed at RandomDude and I wasn’t suggesting RandomDude is a selfish asshole. I realized I worded that poorly.

12 Likes

East or west of it? I live in Kentucky. Around here, most people wear masks. It’s the ones that don’t that get grief.

Not saying it’s universal here. There are probably small towns that don’t. But there really are counties here that have had zero infections. Lots just in the single digits that have since gotten better weeks ago. That probably fuels their skepticism.

1 Like

Google Maps finds 3 ShopRite locations in Staten Island, and this looks like the Forest/Richmond location based on interior pictures. (The original reporting seems unclear on this.) This is north-shore-ish/north of the Staten Island expressway, so on the part of the island that votes blue or comparatively bluer. FWIW.

6 Likes

Living in Ohio, that seems right. The general sentiment here is glaring at everyone, masked or unmasked. Despite thinking our state needs better mask policies, I haven’t really forced the issue with our customers simply because the time spent arguing it will expose me more than just getting them to go away quickly.

3 Likes

Mobs are scary, even when they think they are doing the right thing, because they always think they are doing the right thing.

Also, I don’t think those masks did much to stop the mouth spray from all that yelling.

The last time I was at the store, a week or so ago (Colorado Springs, CO), easily 50% of the people weren’t wearing masks and many who were didn’t bother covering their noses. What I thought was quite interesting was a family shopping together; father and son, no masks, while the mother was wearing a mask. How is that supposed to work?

2 Likes

It helped me. It’s just real Americans; demonstrating their god given free speech rights. It’s not like they were trying to intimidate people with guns or anything.

6 Likes

I think he was trying to make a point about a woman’s right to choose… but in the context of this post it probably needed a little more clarification.

3 Likes

Fair enough. My knowledge of Staten Island is rather limited to the area by the Civil Court and en route to it from NJ Bridges. But I know that Shop-Rite. I pass by it regularly. Your assessment sounds right.

3 Likes

The thing I’m seeing now is that stores are refusing entry to the unmasked (yay!), but saying nothing once people pass the threshold and take their masks off (boo!). I saw a man walk up to the door of my coffee place, stuff the collar of his grubby shirt INTO his mouth, walk past the counter, then let it fall. That doesn’t quite seem to meet the spirit or the letter of the mask rule.

6 Likes

Why not spring for one of these, instead?

3 Likes

Is it really free speech if it doesn’t involve guns and/or intimidation?

2 Likes

Maybe keep lurking.

1 Like

Eh? Didn’t mean to offend.

2 Likes

I’m not convinced that masks or gloves are effective. But it costs me almost nothing to make people around me comfortable. With the bonus that if I’m wrong about the whole mask thing, I haven’t hurt anyone.

I do draw the line somewhere. Probably around at wearing a $100K space suit. When it gets to that point, I’ll flaunt the law.

4 Likes

Enough goddamn yammering about “rights.” How about we discuss “responsibilities?” What are your responsibilities as a member of society? Do these people even suspect that social responsibilities exist, or are they just little Trump Clones, and they think they have the right to do anything they please without responsibilities or consequences?

6 Likes

Staten Island went blue in 2018.

3 Likes

Its cool man, I get what you meant. Thanks for clarifying tho.

I wholeheartedly agree these people are selfish assholes and it’s really pathetic that human life and masks are now politicized

1 Like

Oh, I can see that possibly, but yeah, too deep given context. Dunno what he meant other than sounded like he was supporting the very mentality I found insufferably privileged.

Yes. That’s kinda the point forever- conservatives in general and specifically Trump people feel absolutely no empathy toward everyone else. Their views are never have and never will allow for this, and it’s built into their own collective society mindset. That’s the point I keep trying to get across with other liberals these people do not fucking care about others at all.

I should know I work with them! God I hate this career. I wish I could find a way to work for myself. I can’t stand to work with morons like this for another 30 years

1 Like