Infuriated NY shoppers scream at woman for not wearing mask

The mother is infected so she’s wearing a mask, while the father and son are asymptomatic, so no masks. Isn’t that how it’s supposed to work? It’s all good.
/s

Get ready for the second wave.

4 Likes

Oh yeah I guess you’re right. I tend to find the smaller stuffed ones refrigerated instead of frozen. For some reason I never thought of large stuffed frozen dumpling type things as pasta but I guess that tracks.

1 Like

Why? Why not just continue to call them pipe cleaners? One can’t really argue the name alone promotes smoking, right?

2 Likes

I haven’t a clue, mate. Just a brilliant image I found shortly after the plague began.

A small line of stitches at the nose and chin keep a cloth mask in place if it ties behind the ears.

3 Likes

I don’t know your office environment, but could it possibly be because one (or more) people in the office don’t feel like it matters if they cover their mouths when they sneeze or cough? Or they use their hands to cover, and then touch things that other people will be touching?

Without 100% compliance and following best practices, how can you know it doesn’t matter?

3 Likes

Sorry, this isn’t meant as an anecdotal.

Without 100% compliance and following best practices, how can you know it doesn’t matter?

Controlled tests lead us that at least for some viruses, masks are not effect against aersols. REF: Milton, D. K., Fabian, M. P., Cowling, B. J., Grantham, M. L. & McDevitt, J. J. Influenza virus aerosols in human exhaled breath: particle size, culturability, and effect of surgical masks. PLoS Pathog. 9 , e1003205 (2013).

I’m not really here to convince anyone of anything. I made some comments earlier in the thread of my own opinion. People chose to challenge that opinion, but I’m fine with everyone having a different opinion. I’m not seeking for approval from my peers.

Bullshit. Emotions are fully human and entirely appropriate.

11 Likes

You’re right we don’t know for certain the effectiveness of masks, and the effectiveness of different masks.

We know that the virus is mostly spread via water droplets via coughing and breathing, which cloth barriers will help prevent the spread. Even if it is only 50% effective, that is better than not.

At the same time while one can acknowledge we don’t know all the facts with 100% certainty, it is hubris to suggest that this uncertainty should lead to ignoring the partial effectiveness.

4 Likes

For the record, the person who came up with that is: Frank Wilhoit.

Here’s more info:

8 Likes

Science VS, which is rapidly becoming one of my favorite podcasts, brings some science to the discussion:

1 Like

Something that I think is uniquely American is this interpretation of a “right” as “a guarantee of acceptable selfishness”. I don’t know of any other culture that interprets the word quite that way. I say that as a non-American who has spent 20 years living in America.

This manifests all over the place. Certainly with public health issues, but also the way so many USians online treat the 1st amendment as a license to be a jerk. It’s never about ones’ relationship to government (as others interpret the word “freedom”), it’s about ones’ relationship to fellow citizens.

2 Likes

That’s easy for you to say, Anubis (“First of the Westerners,” “Lord of the Sacred Land,” “He Who is Upon his Sacred Mountain,” “Ruler of the Nine Bows,” “The Dog who Swallows Millions,” “Master of Secrets,” “He Who is in the Place of Embalming,” and “Foremost of the Divine Booth”).
Anubis (hieroglyphs)
Or have I mistaken those tall ears for some other God?

Anyway, nice work on the “while at rest and livid”, that’s a powerful tag-team combo.

May the Sacred Land eternally ring with the ranting erudite legend of your legendary and erudite rants!

I go now to commune with Ptah. May I use the Divine Booth for a spell?

2 Likes

Rumbled! :slight_smile: My avi is indeed the Anubis from Tutankhamon’s tomb.

Do give Ptah my love, and Sekhmet too, if she’s around.

Oh, and of course you have our permission to use the Divine Booth for a spell, an incantation, or a month or two.

Edited to add:
Our permission is withdrawn, on the basis of your later posts.

6 Likes

Before you become too enthused about Solidarisme, perhaps you might research the extent of Léon Bourgeois’s ideas on whether women had any “special” responsibilities.

2 Likes

This is perfect. Could be on a (nice clean, easily dispensed) business card to give to anyone who deserves one.

2 Likes

I agree, emotions are fully human and entirely appropriate. Wouldn’t have it any other way. But this does not rebut my argument, which runs:

• All emotion occurs in brain centers which evolved prior to the neocortex.
  • The neocortex is where intelligence happens.
  • Emotional activity reduces neocortical activity.
  • All emotion makes people less intelligent.

Carl Sagan doesn’t say this in The Dragons of Eden, but his discussion of brain function and evolution provides the physiological basis for my argument.

Anger and fear are so well understood as intelligence suppressors that we take the stupidity they cause for granted. Si Monumentum Requiris, Circumspice.

But consider also love, which enables charming sociopathic men to leave trails of abandoned children and broken hearts in their wake.

Consider sorrow and grief, during which time people needlessly and impulsively take their own lives.

No intelligent person would murder from anger alone.

No intelligent person would choose a sociopathic lover.

No intelligent person would grieve to death when a good life might be had tomorrow.

All emotion makes people less intelligent.

I’m sorry, I’m just not buying that reductionist argument. It makes “intelligence” into a moral virtue, which it is not. Being smart is not any sign of superiority, it is merely one trait among many others which make for a worthwhile human being. Plenty of so-called “intelligent” people use their supposed lack of emotion to be complete and utter dicks.

Yes, and those men regularly use their sociopathy of not having emotions to justify using people and throwing them away. The people who love them are not the problem, the “emotionless” sociopathic men are.

Sorry, but…

wil-wheaton-thisisbullshit|nullxnull

And I will note that logic and rationality are considered “masculine” traits, while emotion are considered “femine” traits and this conceptualization are regularly employed by misogynists to keep women from being full citizens. So there is that issue as well.

Yet, this is often the justification of serial killers. It’s entirely the case that the unabomber was highly intelligent… yet he sent out mail bombs.

Yet it happens all the time, because sociopaths tend to be pretty intelligent and manipulate people. Are you saying that dumb people deserve to be manipulated?

Are you saying people with clinical depression are stupid?

You really should think about what you’re saying here. You’re saying that some lives are worth more than others. You’re saying a core part of what makes us human makes us less valuable, and that the only valuable human trait is logic and rationality, which has very much had it’s own pathologies.

BTW, if that is your wiki, please take my name off of it. I really don’t need some jacked up misogynist coming here and harassing me, because they stumble across your wiki. This is a REAL issue for women online (and many men). Don’t contribute to it by helping to doxx people, even in this low level way.

In addition, I’m not some fucking prop to show off your logic. I’m a human being who deserves your respect and consideration. This is why lacking emotion, especiallly empathy is bad.

22 Likes

19 Likes

Not only this, but the idea of a “unitary intelligence” has been pretty thoroughly debunked over the years. The number of “intelligences” varies by study and criteria, but there is no one, unitary measure that can be called by that name. Oversimplification is not very intelligent.

18 Likes