Intel pulls ads at site critical of #GamerGate

Since all things I was going to source went missing, I’ll just talk about the things that are tentative without the leaks. The last paragraph in that one disregarded what I just explained. Nobody wants that. And misogynist fans have no power over making develops only make “white male” games, whatever that is. Like I said, the content developers get to make whatever game they choose. Telltale and Naughty Dog are great examples of making good games that have whatever type character they want, like I explained. The gaming community is huge, and there is a game for anyone and everyone. And like I said, if I didn’t look into the GamerGate side of things, I’d probably agree with the forces that want to promote games made in a scholarly fashion. Its my dream field. But forcing it is stupid, its happening already.

It’s even more nonsense considering that gamergaters have harrassed indie developers that have expressed their support to Zoe Quinn and other victims. They even hacked and doxxed Phil Fish.

I guess all this is a reaction to the stale state of big-industry videogames vs the blooming creativity of indies, mobile vs console etc. Games are changing, and most important, hardcore gamers are not at the center of this world anymore, and this upsets and scares some people.

Actually the original article by Leigh Alexander explains just this, way better than I do, for anyone with basic reading comprehension.

5 Likes

It’s only a personal attack on you if you consider yourself either a misogynist or a dudebro who thinks gaming belongs to you and yours alone.

Or you didn’t actually read the “gamers are dead” articles and went off of the headline or someone else’s inflammatory summary of the articles.

There is no way you can, with a straight face, declare otherwise.

4 Likes

Alright, I’ll just share this article so you guys can get a different point of view that is I guess much more credible than me. Before you come back to attack me, though either way I want to stay as long as possible and talk to the people on the other side of the spectum. Please read the whole thing, because its decently long, and like you said with the title Gamer is Dead, do not deter solely because of the title of the article. It also sources every single assertion, so please investigate those before coming insulting me again. Then we can have a hopefully better talk, cause through hate left and right wastes everyone’s time.

3 Likes

I literally know nothing more about #GamerGate than what I just read on Wikipedia and I just have to tell you as a neutral observer, you’re not exactly making your case when you have to resort to articles written on brietbart.com (which has invented news, created hoaxes, pushes conspiracy theories and wields FUD on a regular basis in order to grow its readership).

18 Likes

Said it already, why don’t we act like big informed adults and try reading, checking sources, than investigating instead of being sheep. You can think for yourself, so please don’t be ignorant and not look at all possible sources. I’m doing 2 more documents cause I have classes tomorrow and I’m tried. Please try to read them. I don’t know why people are resorting to bigotry and labeling without knowing all facts.

The radio cloud is a great way to learn everything about GamerGate from experts, not journalists. They are feminists, indie developers, and hackers
https://soundcloud.com/radio_nero

What, just because they are? How unreasonable of him. The whole #gamergate nonsense has been nothing but an excuse for misogynistic harassment. (As Walker found out for himself when he became an object of harassment after addressing the issue.) Anyone claiming there’s a real controversy is either part of that harassment or isn’t actually paying attention to what’s going on. RPS has absolutely nothing to apologize for, nor should they.

7 Likes

I don’t consult the raving loon with the tinfoil hat that marches around town with a sign about extraterrestrials when I’m looking for an informed opinion about space exploration. I’m certainly not going to consult what amounts to the Howard Stern show for political opinion when it comes to, well, anything serious.

But I read that god awful tripe and you sir, if you represent anything close to the views of one side of this GamerGate, are making a very strong case to be on the opposite side.

12 Likes

So we’re thinking for ourselves if we agree with you, and if we disagree we clearly haven’t done any research?

Yeah, but no. I’ve read around, and come to the opposite conclusion. Gamergate started as a smokescreen for harassing Zoe Quinn, and evolved into one for bashing so-called Social Justice Warriors and Cultural Marxists (the latter, as anyone can tell you, being code for Jews). It had a bad beginning, and continues to be bad. That it is sucking in the occasional person with good intentions is sad, but having them on board is not going to change the bad roots of it all.

Game journalism may need to be sorted out, but Gamergate is not the tool for the job. If — as seems likely — it achieves nothing at all, it won’t be because of opposition to it, it will be because it wasn’t designed to achieve anything.

18 Likes

At first I was confused. Then I was surprised and saddened. And now, I am mostly darkly amused that I ever thought that people yelling homophobic and racist invective into their xbox headsets would be able to productively discuss cultural criticism, misogyny or journalistic ethics.

5 Likes

Yes, please. You start. Breitbart is not a remotely credible source for anything, but I read the article anyways. It’s fucking hilarious. Random quotes by a couple random people taken out of context, weird accusations that the gaming press has a “radical feminist agenda” (to which I can only say: ha, ha, ha, ha, ha), and outright, already disproven lies about Zoe Quinn, etc. Bunch of patent nonsense and libel. The irony is that some of the gaming journalists being targeted by this “gamergate” malarkey are some of the very people who have spent their careers actively pushing for more professionalism and against conflicts of interest in the gaming press. A press that has actually made some advances in recent years after decades where serious conflicts of interest went unremarked by these enraged “gamers.” Let’s not pretend that “gamergate” has anything to do with transparency and professionalism because that’s quite transparently bullshit.

13 Likes

You don’t have a problem, HE has a problem.

1 Like

As I wrote on a separate thread, it took three attempts to fully Greenlight Zoe Quinn’s IF, Depression Quest. Here’s a post at VG24/7 from April 2013, before the first Steam attempt (where she pulled it near immediately due to harassment). The game is reviewed alongside Actual Sunlight - an RPG that also deals with depression. By the second attempt, Depression Quest was already an award-winner.

It has won:
IndieCADE Selection 2013, Best Narrative - Boston FIG, Category Winner - Mass DiGi, Honorable Mention - Mozilla GameOn (Not too shabby for a work of IF.)

Also, Here’s a link to a video of Zoe Quinn speaking at PAX East 2014 (pre-GG) with Giant Bomb’s Patrick Klepik. The title of their talk is:

Why Internet Jerks Aren’t Going to Win, And You Can Help

I seriously recommend you watch the video in full.

9 Likes

Despite the fact the ‘sleeping your way to the top’ element has been disproved and countered constantly, including in this article, these gaters always bring it up. Always.

9 Likes

Is there any campaign to make Intel aware of how many of their customers despise the gaters? We play games too, sometimes run businesses and are often professionals in the digital area. Personally, I now have a very negative opinion of Intel, as this stuff matters to me. If I can avoid their products, I will.

5 Likes

It’s not stupid, and it’s not inconsequential. By definition, it is a consequential event because it started this “movement”. Why was it consequential enough to do that. Why wasn’t it triggered by something like Penny Arcade producing their own game series that was then reviewed by the people in the industry they’d become friends with over the course of doing a comic about games?

Working in the realm of facts, the open oppression of gamers, not a stereotype, actual men and women gamers, in game journalism was undertaken by those under the banner of #GamerGate. It opened a valve on a seething undercurrent of misogyny and clubhouse mentality that then poured forth in a shitty burning stream, and now, when it’s finally abated a little people are standing in the sewerage saying that valve opening was never important all this stuff would’ve come out anyway so please stop talking about it there’s real issues at hand.

The fact that you literally say “I could not care less about what’s happening to one woman in an industry with many other notable women that are not becoming huge cases” is the exact problem with your “movement”. The biggest issue in ‘gaming’ isn’t journalistic “transparency”: it’s that a bunch of gamers suddenly started professing to care that games journalism wasn’t somehow a complete exception to how journalism works in literally every other industry and medium coincidentally right when a woman gets publicly slut shamed, but when called on how fucking stupid that is pretend like that’s not how it happened or argue it doesn’t matter now.

12 Likes

The “ex-boyfriend” has a name and it would do well to keep mentioning it so Google remembers him forever as Eron Gjoni, vindictive asshole.

15 Likes

This makes no sense. The original account, @macdaddy was not suspended. So why would you need to make a new account?

Is there a reply limit for new users or something?