Intel pulls ads at site critical of #GamerGate

He must have been replying like greased lightening then. Such impassioned typing.

2 Likes

Mod note: @Mac @Macdaddy-You keep repeating yourself. Youā€™ve made your point. No reason to keep saying the same talking points over and over.

1 Like

How do all the rape and murder threats help bring about more transparency in game journalism?

16 Likes

I went to the Intel site to convey my decision to avoid Intel products in my personal gaming life and in the business I run because of their poor CSR. Problem is the CSR response form is coming back with a 404. Is this because it has been deluged with triumphant gaters or with extremely dissapointed business owners and professionals (oh and gamers)? Only way to fight back against this gater campaign is to make clear how much money there is in our camp, and how much business any company will lose if they give in to misogynist conspiracy theorists.

Asks people to think critically and not be sheep. Posts breitbart as credible source.

22 Likes

Kiddo, you are seriously delusional about the ā€œgamers being their main buyersā€. Intel doesnā€™t exist only because of the gamers, you know?

The CPUs and mainboards bought by gamers are a drop in the ocean of Intelā€™s income, their primary business is selling chips (and not only CPUs!) to electronics manufacturers. Those chips tend to end up everything from your fridge to your PC. Even the majority of those CPUs goes to office PCs and servers.

The fact that their pulled their ads is, IMHO, a typical cover your ass reaction of some PR/marketing drone who got inundated by the sockpuppet dronesā€™ e-mails, knew nothing about the scandal and simply wanted to remove the name of Intel from any possible controversy. Except they have achieved exactly the opposite now.

14 Likes

This is just off the cuff, but here is a draft of what Iā€™m going to write to intel:

Youā€™ve recently decided to pull advertising from the website Gamasutra after receiving complaints about their content related to the #GamerGate hashtag. I am not sure if you are aware that his hashtag is entangled with an manā€™s attempts to publicly shame and harass his ex-girlfriend, or if it is often used as a thin veil over misogynistic attacks. The hashtag is used by people who hound people out of their homes with rape and death threats in order to silence them. A targeted campaign against advertising is another way they are trying to make sure no one speaks out against hateful attacks on women.

Every defense of #GamerGate on a forum or on twitter is characterized by sock puppet accounts. There is a very good chance that the large volume of complaints you got is not representative of the number of people who are actually upset about this issue. Iā€™d also note that the people who are complaining to you are the same people who spend hours complaining in game forums about games they continue to play and pay for - they do not put their money where their mouths are.

Between my own gaming habits and my family I buy a new computer approximately once a year. If you decide to continue supporting #GamerGate and thereby supporting hostility to women in gaming culture, I will be sure that my next purchase does not have ā€œIntel inside.ā€

Iā€™m tired of these people trying to control the public sphere through intimidation.

19 Likes

Did you read the leaks from the GameJournoPros mailing list? Kyle Orland - senior gaming editor at Ars Technica, has this to say about the Zoe Quinn situation

and

Since when does a journalist need an excuses to talk positively about Quinn? Sounds like digging heels in to me.

I for one support collectively giving the finger to most proponents of this ā€œgamergateā€.

Especially itā€™s exceptionally untalented Astroturf Division.

8 Likes

This is hilarious. The vast majority of us had never heard of Quinn before this whole thing happened. If I were a real conspiracy theorist I would say that she orchestrated #GamerGate herself to boost her career. Iā€™m actually really interested in checking out games sheā€™s made because I want to know what got all these angry men to turn their attention her way. Itā€™s probably something good.

ā€œI donā€™t want to in essence reward the jerks doing this by giving their ā€˜issueā€™ any attention at all.ā€ is not evidence of digging in heels, itā€™s evidence that associating yourself with crazy jerks who threaten people doesnā€™t make you come across well.

10 Likes

Wait whaā€¦ ? Boycotting is intimidation? Be careful using words like that, itā€™s a slippery slope. Last I checked its considered ā€œconsumer activismā€. Wikipedia describes it as part of ā€œmoral purchasingā€. Boycotts are voluntary and nonviolent. Gandhi encouraged boycotting of British goodsā€¦ yeah what an intimidator.

Whether you like it or not, #GGs are part of the ā€œpublic sphereā€, and they have a voice, and they intend to use it. Thank god we live in a country where we have these rights ā€“ otherwise the ā€œvocal majorityā€ would get to impose itā€™s views on everyone else ā€“ all those dissenting ā€œintimidatorsā€. Sheesh. Youā€™ve been drinking your own cool-aid too long.

1 Like

Buddy, intimidation - to deter or compel by or as if by threats.

Boycotts count as threats, not all language is determined by the breathless FOX commentators grimly hoping for another school massacre.

Do you even pedant, bro?

1 Like

Wow - not reading the article but Iā€™ll do a ā€˜gamersgateā€™ thing and respond just to the headline - the breitbrat article is right - feminists are tearing the game industry apart.

Itā€™s exposing the rotten, mean, and condescending bits and showing them for what they are - and the most awesome thing about it - is that the developers, the majority of the gamers, and the rest of the industry are finding out they donā€™t really want those people in their hobby anymore. Because they are toxic.

I for one wonā€™t be sad to see them go - considering Iā€™ve been a ā€˜gamerā€™ from the point ā€˜pongā€™ came out - I can definitely say good riddance.

edit I suppose itā€™s confusing (they was clearly defined in my head why you people were having issues is clearly your fault) they would be the douche-bags that are hell bent on being crying manbabies.

10 Likes

Maybe it stands for transparency in game journalism to those using the hashtag, but it does not stand for transparency in journalism to those on the outside.

Kudos to Zoe Quinn! This is her Michael Brown moment!

4 Likes

Thatā€™s odd, given that this is a gamergate-article. Arenā€™t you aware of what started the whole controversy?

3 Likes

Tyranny is the deliberate removal of nuance.

No one is fooled. Please boycott Intel. Please boycott all the chips.

4 Likes

No man. Shut up.

You cannot side with people who harassed people out of their homes, colluded to use minorities to discredit the other side (did I mention the tea party already) and all these things you already know (weā€™ve all seen the post, 4chan is no longer that obscure), and say youā€™ve been bullied.

4 Likes

Ha. If I hadnā€™t been playing tic-tac-toe on a conference room sized IBM while you piddled your pong I could maybe attribute your peevishness to your advanced age.

I guess it is something else. What I donā€™t understand is why you donā€™t understand how you are one-step-back, doomed to recede behind the two-steps-forward that is represented by games becoming mainstream enough to shed the man-child image for most of us.

Srsly, bro, how does it feel to be on the wrong side of history?

edit- Or, if I totally failed to parse your post, you could reply with equal snark condemning my reading comprehension failure because we actually agree.

4 Likes

Damn it. This pole is only 9ft long. Iā€™m not touching this one.

6 Likes

I think the ā€œthose peopleā€ he was referring to were the toxic assholes rather than the feminists. (I read it the same way as you at first, but rethought. I mean, I hope Iā€™m right.)

3 Likes