Interesting toilet

2 Likes

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/226/whats-the-deal-with-urinals-in-womens-restrooms

2 Likes

With the context provided i’m still baffled as to why anyone thought it’d be a good idea. I can’t even…

2 Likes

Alright! I am an autistic person, and I am taking the bait.

How does a person who avoids being seen on a toilet “know better”? What kind of knowledge does this demonstrate?

3 Likes

Or, more accurately, anybody wearing a dress. For whatever reason, many establishments find the toilet distinctions of whether one is wearing trousers/shorts or a dress/skirt to be of primary significance.

2 Likes

You’re right, I don’t see an easy way to pee in that, with pants. I already don’t like my clothing to touch the restroom floor. Yuk.

2 Likes

It’s been a while since i’ve had to think about the person in question, and the incident itself. He may have had down syndrome, and i know autism and down aren’t interchangeable and i accidentally used one when i meant the other and i’m willing to admit my own ignorance. Wasn’t trying to offend.

Regarding the situation i described i can’t really say for sure because i wasn’t there and didn’t know the kid well but i know someone from my class walked in and he was there doing his business and didn’t seem to really be aware of his mistake. No one really gave the kid grief over it, just an unusual moment.

2 Likes

The knowledge that pooping is only socially acceptable in private.

Not being sarcastic, that’s literally the answer.

3 Likes

A skirt and no underwear. Underwear would not be practical with this.

Also a short skirt, as a long one will tend to get peed on.

So, basically, this urinal was designed for a hooker on a 70s cop show.

2 Likes

Ah, that would explain it. I was thinking, how could you know was autistic? Was he rocking and flapping? Or was it a little bit of artistic license and/ or false memory on your part?

Down Syndrome people mostly look similar, but autism is what we call an invisible disability. If you were to meet me in the street, you wouldn’t know if I were autistic, schizophrenic, drunk/high, or an MRA from a Canadian McDonald’s (sorry I had to :D)

3 Likes

I am not offended. [quote=“Grey_Devil, post:88, topic:85158”]
he was there doing his business and didn’t seem to really be aware of his mistake.
[/quote]

That’s what I am trying to understand, what they were supposedly mistaken about,

Isn’t saying that something is socially acceptable in private the same as it being unsocial or antisocial? That doesn’t sound very good. And besides, I am as much “society” as anybody else is, and I can’t think of any cogent rationale against it. The way I see it, if we haven’t voted on a situation then there is no real consensus - and even then I have my doubts!

Part of my social baseline has always been that knowledge is evidence-based, rather than being conditioned for or against something arbitrarily.

5 Likes

Yeah, I mean he was crapping into a toilet, in a bathroom. Sounds 100% appropriate to me. Just because few other people would be comfortable doing so, since they (like me) have been conditioned to expect the additional privacy of a stall, does not mean that he actually committed a faux pas.

I am reminded of one time I stepped into the gents’ at a post production facility, and a fella I know was standing at one of the urinals, taking a whiz. What caught my attention was that his pants were puddled down around his ankles, and he was pissing with his ass hanging out there in the breeze. I realized that I used to see other guys do that all the time… when I was in kindergarten.

I never got around to asking him why he didn’t see fit to observe the more-general adult custom of simply opening one’s fly to point Percy at the porcelain, rather than dropping trou altogether.

8 Likes

First, antisocial and unsocial are not the same thing. I’d say pooping is unsocial but not antisocial. It isn’t working against the fabric of society* but it’s just not something that’s done out in public. If you’re asking why we have these rules, and if they’re “good”, I’m the wrong person to ask. I know they exist, I believe they exist because of Victorian scatological taboos, and I think they’re a little silly but hey they’re what I’m used to.

*unless you leave one on your boss’ desk, for example.

3 Likes

For sure. From a hygiene PoV, you want the cleanest, least-used crapper there. Which would be the one that’s not in a stall because no-one uses it.If you don’t, ahem, give a shit about it being in a cubicle it makes perfect sense.

7 Likes

My thinking is that this would depend upon how clean the place was, especially the floor. I too often see facilities where I despair at even placing the bottoms of my shoes upon the floor, never mind the rest of my clothes! If I saw somebody do that on a floor which wasn’t clean, I would be a bit grossed out. But if the place was clean it would not bother me.

2 Likes

It was reasonably clean; no puddles on the floor or anything. As I say, it only caught my eye because I just never see human adults peeing that way, only small boys who are relatively new to the urinal game.

3 Likes

Last time I encountered that was at a pub during the (previous) World Cup final, and the gentleman in question was extremely drunk. The floor was most definitely NOT clean.

3 Likes

Being drunk for the World Cup final is a special occasion! I think then you’re supposed to wear your pants on your head, so you don’t need to pull them down.

2 Likes

Just gonna drop leave this here.

See where a lack of stalls gets you?

6 Likes

I would like to take the chance to ask to see if you or anyone else either does this or have noticed this. But why do some guys that use the urinal undo their belt to fully open and unbutton their pants to pee? I never understood that but it’s not the sort of thing you ask a guy at the office lol. Unzipping alone seems to work so i’ve been puzzled why bother undoing one’s belt.

2 Likes