Iowa primary focus group reveals: only death or murder could deter Trump loyalty

Originally published at: Iowa primary focus group reveals: only death or murder could deter Trump loyalty - Boing Boing Iowa Primary is DeSantis's Doom

2 Likes

And I bet that murder would only have an effect depending on who the victim was.

16 Likes

10 Likes

This is the first primary race I’ve ever heard of where none of the trailing candidates seem willing or able to say why they’d be a better choice than the frontrunner. Probably not really a situation political strategists train for.

11 Likes

Uhm, the negative effect depending on the melanin level of the victim(s). In some case, it may energize his rabid base because he hurts the right people.

5 Likes

If he murdered them they wouldn’t vote for him.

9 Likes

Luckily (for everyone involved), such drastic conditions won’t apply to DeSantis and Haley as far as what would deter any loyalty bestowed on them. They are as ephemeral as last night’s hand stamps and will fade away without a tear shed.

5 Likes

Even then… nobody comes even close to the orange turd, in their minds

3 Likes

Bizarre it is. While wearing their Trump Masks, they’re simultaneously hoping that Trump is not available in November. They want the WH.

6 Likes

Why let death stop you? IIRC Missouri still voted for a candidate who died and they won so the Governor appointed his widow to the Senate seat.

2 Likes

I assume they mean that if he murders someone or dies he would become legally ineligible to be on the ballot, because MAGAs would absolutely trip over themselves to vote for him if he was a killer (murder is their end game in voting for a fascist to begin with, after all), and I wouldn’t put it past them to vote for his corpse.

7 Likes

I’m not sure either would deter many. They’d deny he was dead or say who ever deserved it.

4 Likes

Yeah, it just shows how they don’t actually want to win, they want to be the VP, and are entirely supportive of the fascist turn of the GOP under Trump… Hell, even Christie, who claims he’s the real anti-Trump choice, said that they should not take him off the ballot in Colorado. They are circling the wagons…

2 Likes

That may be true for some if they are naïve enough to think challenging Trump for the nomination is going to get them on his good side. I don’t think that is true for all of them, especially Christie.

I tend to think that most of these candidates are running either because A) they secretly hope some external factor like a court conviction or a medical emergency is going to take down Trump‘s campaign so they don’t have to, or B) they’re really just getting a head start for 2028 because even if Trump wins this one he’ll be term-limited out.

4 Likes

And then only if its someone they like. If he murders a Democrat, they’d be just fine with it.

But we all know there won’t be a subsequent election if he wins.

2 Likes

I don’t think he’s ever going to go away peacefully or quietly but one way or another he’s going to go eventually. The current crop of GOP candidates are all just angling to get the biggest piece of whatever he leaves behind.

4 Likes

I was assuming he would name a successor on his deathbed like a proper dictator, but you’re right. His narcissism wouldn’t allow even that.

3 Likes

I think Christie is doing that, by attacking Trump every so often.

2 Likes

Why? WP’s bottom line. (excerpt): Christie might not be the candidate who can do that [that is, beat Trump], but if someone else actually does, he should be remembered as someone who helped make it possible.

1 Like

I don’t think he has a spine. I assume he is kept upright via hydrostatic pressure.