IRAQ: Rocket strikes reported at US-Iraqi military base near Baghdad airport

Goes without saying. But the Iraq clusterfuck is too fresh in everyone’s minds. From an upcoming election perspective it would backfire on him. Bigly. Calculating and craven as they are McConnell and Co. don’t want war either. That would be a bridge too far, even for them.

31 Likes

Holy shit this is bad.

8 Likes

Evangelical boners all around.

11 Likes

This is awful. Hundreds of thousands will die if the US goes to full-on-war with Iran. Fuck. And result in aysmetric retaliation that will kill more and rationalize Trump’s reelection.

Fuck.

11 Likes

And thread:

19 Likes

Not likely to happen. Airstrikes, sure…more drone attacks. Don’t forget Iran can exert enormous pressure around the Strait of Hormuz. We’ve seen that movie.
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/06/18/donald-trump-ronald-reagan-iran-227156

But that is the most worrisome part. Since this is also a brazen violation of Iraqi sovereignty.

1 Like

Yeah, this has all kinds of bad written all over it. And Twitter is blowing up over how proud they are and how this shows he supports the troops. When the body bags come home, will they feel “supported?” But this could lead to the election canceling national crisis we have waited for.

4 Likes

Trump is no goddamned Reagan

10 Likes

Nothing. Literally nothing, because he’s a goddamn moron who refuses to take advice from anyone.

26 Likes

Just the latest iteration. People are already rehabilitating W. for fucksakes!

5 Likes

True dat.

3 Likes

Some unfortunately relevant history:

6 Likes

Yup, Reagan had his own brand of evil. They all do.

13 Likes

You’re right: Blockade the Strait, block the Persian Gulf Ports. It’s what a smart person would do.

But Mr. Trump is not a smart person. And may prefer to provoke full-on war for optics. And Congress no longer is a safeguard to prevent that.

So yeah, this being the next iteration of the Forever War is a real concern in my eyes.

Edit: Not expressing contention, just expressing fear.

3 Likes

Don’t get me wrong; I wouldn’t put anything past the motherfucker. I just think it would be a miscalculation on his part to think he can talk America into another full-scale war, given what we’ve seen the last two decades. Come on, let a guy be a little optimistic :wink:

2 Likes
8 Likes

Fuck no. An election went ahead during the Civil War and World War 2.

16 Likes

And Reagan was a god damn homophobic piece of shit.

11 Likes
10 Likes