Is Amazon's water-resisting plastic bag for your phone better than a plain ol' Ziploc?

That’s the one drawback to all of these; whether a ziploc or a purpose made case, I’ve found that when submerged, an iPhone touchscreen works erratically at best and the fingerprint sensor to unlock the phone won’t work. When going snorkeling I would just turn off sleep mode and use the volume button as a shutter.

Alas I will never know the answer as the item is no longer available.

I usually use Ziploc bags for sous vide, but the weak area is at the edges- if you’re stuffing things in, sometimes it’s possible to stress the opening and tear the heat sealed edges, especially at the thicker zip area. This creates pinhole leaks that either dilute the marinade or short your phone.

Phone specific bags have much more durable seams.

1 Like

I use Ziploc or other brand (Ziploc really seem thicker and better tho) bags for sous vide. I do not even bother closing the bag, I just submerge the food and get the air to evacuate, then clip the bag to the pot with a binder clip. There are just as few airbubbles in contact with the food, I just don’t bother to zip the lock.

I usually use smaller bags so there’s not much slack to clip above water, especially when the water is only 1/4 the container’s volume.

I guess I could use a smaller container, but adjusting the water level of a large container allows me to balance quick preheat time for small quantities with ability to cook larger pieces.

One of the reasons I’ve fallen for Joule as my sous vide circulator of record is that the Anonva and Nomiku required larger pots and more water. I use a pretty love oval shaped french oven for most of my smaller 1& 2 person sous vide dishes. I can clip sandwich and gallon bags with ease. Takes maybe 1 1/2 gallons.

1 Like

I go fly fishing and will often cover several miles wading a river. I use my phone to do the photo for catch and release, navigation, and in case of emergencies. If I’m fishing on a lake from my kayak, I’ll use it for all of the above, but also to check radar to make sure I don’t get caught out in the open should a weather cell start bearing down on me.

Waterproof cases are very important to me, and I’ve had one fail, costing me $600 bucks.

I went the DIY route with a hotplate, Ikea pot (with lid, very important), eBay PID controller, and various other bits- solid state relay and heatsink, thermocouple, electronics enclosure, sockets, etc.I don’t really worry about circulation, just count on convection to keep it all about the same temp. I never cook so low as to be worried about keeping out of the bacterial danger zone.

I did get in on the bluetooth Anova kickstarter. Used it once in a cooler, had so much evaporation that the water level went down enough that the safety turned it off. Caught it in time, but still, it’s noisy, wet from all the condensation, and hard to clean, so Iwent back to my DIY setup. Even after 36 hours of cooking the water level doesn’t go down more than an inch or so, and I don’t have splash or as much condensation besides on the lid.

I bought a bottled water dispenser that has hot and cold outlets, but I still haven’t gotten around to making a sous vide cooker out of it that can keep your food refrigerated until a timer starts the heater.

I’ve had decent success with my Anova from the Kickstarter, but I’m still a bit bitter about that whole debacle. The whole selling point of the bluetooth Anova was that it’d be controlled by an app that’d take all the guesswork out of sous vide by doing your calculations for you; you could say “I have a 16-oz steak that’s 1” thick and want to cook it to medium rare" and it’d set the cooking time and temperature for you. Many months after the KS ended they admitted they’d never figured the app out.

I still keep mine in one similar to the Amazon one except that mine floats. Two things to consider are that the S8 and S8+ can still suffer some water damage during prolonged submersion (it’s rather water resistant, but not waterproof) and my floating bag with lanyard makes it much easier to keep track of in the water.

https://www.amazon.com/Floating-Waterproof-MoKo-Universal-Armband/dp/B00P0B4172/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1498167936&sr=8-2&keywords=floating+moko+waterproof+bag

1 Like

They sell a couple of versions of these at REI, there appears to be enough of a difference in quality from one to the other that if I decided to buy one I think I would want to compare them in person, even if it means spending a whole $15 instead of $3.

The kindle-sized ones are useful for people who want to read in the bath.

If you are going to be diving or engaging in active submergence, I suggest double or triple bagging your items.

I guess the other important reason to have your phone in (or on) the water is to call for help, or to have help find you.

I received a sample aLOKSAK bag that was iPhone sized, recently. It’s certified waterproof to 60m, made with 6 mil plastic, and you can use your phone while it’s sealed in the bag. If you’re into waterproofing your phone, I think it’s a good option to consider.

Someone needs to edit that duct tape article on Wikipedia. That whole story about the lady in the ordnance factory has been called into question.

Yeah, I’m only kayaking on a lake, and it’s fairly shallow a good ways out from the shore, but if I drop my phone or overturn I don’t particularly want to dive down and hunt for it in the mud. The S7 Edge is allegedly waterproof, but I’ve read that the testing had variable results.

2 Likes

Meh, it’s no bag deal.

Why do people assume Ziplock bags are waterproof? They aren’t. The zips definitely let water in and (aside from the heaviest freezer bags) the bags let water vapor in over time.

Yes, I am aware. Sitting in a bathtub to read on it shouldn’t be a problem though. I don’t think the author is looking for something to do deep sea diving with.

Should I be reading Chekov, or is there some other cultural touchstone that has eluded me?

I’m guessing this is the reference:

Norns - Wikipedia

2 Likes