Is Cryptoland, the "first physical crypto island", a parody of NFT culture? Is parody even possible?

Well, I looked into the island a bit and quickly concluded that, similar to most uninhabited islands literally anywhere, it’s a great place for idiots with no life skills to die of thirst and hunger.

ETA:

=0

4 Likes

:thinking:

2 Likes

Libertarian paradise - RationalWiki

2 Likes

Guess Somalia didn’t pan out

2 Likes

Sophie watched through the trailer on stream a couple of days ago and mocked the ever loving hell out of it too

3 Likes

They’re going to have a rude awakening when they realise that their libertarian paradise is part of Fiji and subject to its laws.

8 Likes

I love the blurb for the “Somalia!” forum, which shows a hint of awareness that they were projecting their fantasies onto a country they knew nothing about.

All about Somali cities, pictures of Somalia, everyday life there. Obviously needs input from actual Somalis or people who have been there or who live there.

3 Likes

Did they pick out an island resistant to sea level rise, or will they just sell their houses and move?

4 Likes

I finally watched the video. It’s funny that one guy mentions how great the 3D animation is right before we see Christopher in the helicopter with sunlight seemingly streaming through his body to shine on the backrest (about 1:50) and then at the gym, he’s definitely using that arm press machine wrong…(about 7:30). Just the kind of attention to detail I want my world planners to have.
There are no medical facilities, so I guess people need to be evacuated if they suffer a medical emergency. There also appears to be no airport to accommodate planes, so presumedly everyone is arriving by chopper? And they plan to host multiple international conferences, so between regulars, potential medical evacs, staff and visitors, I imagine the soundscape will be one of constant loud flying machines. Sounds truly edenic :roll_eyes:
Also missing, as others noted, fresh water facility, wastewater treatment facility, power source. Food. But sure, this looks “eco-friendly.”
Will be interesting to see what becomes of all this planning. I mean, it only took them a year to make the video, so we should see some real progress in…a couple decades?

2 Likes

Also, when he is going through the arch at the beginning with the sign on it - I forget what it says - you briefly see the back of it with the text backwards because they didn’t texture it correctly.

Of course, I am unable to argue with his infallible logic regarding quality of presentation equaling quality of investment opportunity! /s

2 Likes

One would think that all the publicity around Jeffrey Epstein would have drawn attention to the fact that owning island real estate doesn’t mean you get to decide what is and is not legal there.

5 Likes

The closest tip of the island is only 1/3 of a mile off of the mainland, so it really barely qualifies as an island at all. As far as governing purposes goes the only meaningful difference between buying this and a random chunk of land on the Fiji mainland is for marketing purposes. Per the old song in the travel advertisements, Catalina is famously just “26 miles across the sea” from California, or about 78 times further than this island is from the mainland, and it’s not treated as some isolated self-governing entity. Even in the days when it was privately owned by the Wrigley family all the same laws still applied.

4 Likes

Which brings up another missing piece. Where are all the armed security guards going to stay? The ones stopping “The Island” type groupies from thronging there? Or just locals looking to check out the scene?

3 Likes

I assume they’ll just have to take off their shoes, roll up their pants and wade across the gap when making their daily commute to work.

3 Likes

Assuming that Fiji even allows private security guards to carry guns. The UK, for instance, does not.

3 Likes

Eventually they’ll be living in the various homes on the island, after they herd the crypto-bros off at gunpoint and after they engage in a battle royale with the other thugs-for-hire.

3 Likes

I think this video is real and not parody? Is there a consensus?

I watched the whole video and JFC you should be awarded a :medal_military: just for making it all the way through that cringefest. It’s… profoundly, deeply, innately wrong in soooo many ways.

4 Likes

It seems to be real and they are as serious as a bunch of clowns with no idea what they are talking about can be. Here is a press release about it on Cointelegraph

3 Likes

im a little late to the party, but it reminds me of peter molyneux’s new “game” - where they are already selling virtual real estate ( digital estate? ) linked to nfts

even the virtual version sounds distinctly unfun. not sure the real life version could be any better

( and definitely feels like it’s time to raise upper bracket taxes by quite a lot. get all that capital moving back into productive use… )

3 Likes

Oh dear. Here I thought that Peter Molyneux could not disappoint me more.

3 Likes