Is this the ultimate "I'm not racist, but..."

My unsubstantiated suspicion is this isn’t so much meant as “I’m not racist but…” as a dig at BLM et al, which certain quarters have been accusing of racism in a clever little display of alt-right label flipping. So, “I’m not racist, you’re racist”. (See also: Trump calling CNN “fake news”).

2 Likes

White is whatever people define it as, so the “other” is whatever is most convenient. That’s what’s scary.

I’m nowhere near London or the UK, so I understood like three words of that.

3 Likes

Alza la bandera revolucionaria
que del triunfo sin cesar nos lleva en pos

3 Likes

I have a friend who is very adamantly pro confederate flag, but to the left on literally every other issue. I don’t get it at all, but it’s just that one issue so I can ignore it.

5 Likes

On the one hand, this picture invites all kind of cool intellectual analysis by people who know more about these symbols than this clown does. It feels like a gesture of liberal decency to give him the benefit of the doubt, and parse these statements one at a time… technically speaking, they’re not self-contradictory.

OTOH, the “common sense” part kind of explains everything else. These ideas are self evident because that’s what he grew up with, and if you grew up with something different, you’re a lib-tard.

On the gripping hand, it seems important not to fall into the same lazy intellectual traps as our opponents, to then justify our own carelessness with, “they started it”.

When mirror-Spock-with-a-beard says, “It was easier for civilized men to pretend to be barbarians than for barbarians to pretend to be civilized”, he’s setting a standard I’d like to live up to.

5 Likes

I wonder how “non-racist” they would be if they found out a relative were marrying someone dark skinned or non-Christian.

“I’m not a racist but they should keep with their own kind, it’s just common decency!”

4 Likes

Wasn’t it about ethics in slave journalism?

20 Likes

As long as they don’t do it in the butt or kill unborn babies,skin color is irrelevant.

mmmkay.

3 Likes

definitely looks like an old school islamic/moorish style crown

The “Princess being in another castle” is a euphemism- Like “pitching for the other team”, or “states rights”.

I’m ante-sodomy. I’ll get back to you later and let you know if anything’s changed.

13 Likes

While the flag may imply racism, there is nothing explicitly racist there so maybe the owner of the truck really isn’t racist.

Are you a racist?

4 Likes

Racism isn’t something one is, it’s someone one does. Displaying a flag created to represent a confederacy assembled for the express purpose of keeping three million human beings in chattel slavery is racist. So whether or not the truck’s owner hates people based on the social construct of race, he or she is being racist by displaying that flag. When one is being racist, one is a racist. To anticipate your next question, when I am being racist, I am a racist. Likewise, when I am being an asshole, I am an asshole. I try not to make either a way of life, but how well I succeed is for others to evaluate and respond accordingly.

If you show me a human being, I will show you someone who has been an asshole and a racist at some point, and probably more than one, in their life. I will show you the same person.

13 Likes

Okay but isn’t it a big part of racism to point at a person and say because of characteristics you exhibit, I am going to make assumptions about your behavior, regardless of the sort of person you actually are. Maybe the owner of the truck really doesn’t get that the flag is a symbol of racism to a lot of people. He may have his head in the sand but it doesn’t make him a racist.

1 Like

“gripping hand” ftw - that is all

3 Likes

The proud Trump supporters I’ve spoken to since the election have all, to a person, been very quick to tell me that they are NOT A RACIST and that neither is Trump and that you can’t prove it so don’t even try. When I’ve pointed out extremely racist things Trump has said or done, or that it’s inherently racist to say something like “all Muslims are evil, and you can tell a Muslim by his beard and skin and gibberish language”, they are also very quick to insist that you can hate all Muslims but not be a racist, because it’s a belief system and not a race, technically.

15 Likes

That would be ironic.

Again, insofar as he or she is displaying the flag, the truck owner is a racist. Someone may say to someone else you’re an asshole because they just did something assholish. Or someone may say you’re an asshole as a general observation about their personality. In general, it’s pretty safe to assume that someone who this day in age displays the CSA flag has heard numerous times about what the Confederacy and thus its flag stood for (slavery). The scribbled disclaimer above the flag essentially guarantees that the driver has been informed repeatedly. It beggars belief to think they don’t know, however much they may deny it to others or even themselves.

8 Likes

There is no reason to make a distinction between people who are “deliberately racist” and “just don’t know”. Our response should be the same: to condemn their actions and stop them. If they are really ignorant, then they will not find out that they are unless someone points it out.
Racism is not a crime we are trying to accuse people of and then sentence them to something, it’s a set of behaviors we are trying to stop, and therefore the result is what we are talking about, not the intent. We call something racist because the action perpetuates hatred based on race, and that is the purpose of that flag being on that truck.

9 Likes

Now how does that make Murica Great Again?

[note sarcasm]