Is this the ultimate "I'm not racist, but..."

There is a significant difference between those “characteristics you exhibit” via your behavior and inherent “characteristics you exhibit” because of ethnicity or sexuality. The owner of this truck has exhibited, by valorizing a flag that has long been a symbol of racist thought, the characteristic of not valuing those oppressed by that symbol.

4 Likes

Yes, he/she picked to perfect symbol to prove that point.

[note sarcasm]

6 Likes

Auntie Sodomy is fine, and she’s TOTALLY non-racist, as her truck proves. It’s Uncle Sodomy you have to watch out for.

14 Likes

This.

It is, of course, a complete coincidence that the religion they’re hating on is one whose adherents are overwhelmingly Arab, Asian or black.

7 Likes

I’m sorry, that post wasn’t directed at “you” specifically, hence the “incidentally”, but I’ve deleted it anyway.

5 Likes

Tsk. Americans have such quaint notions about us. Incest is definitely not our thing (except maybe around Prescott).

Auntie Sodomy, of course, is for life and common decency, and wants everyone to succeed - the poor dear just can’t spell.

7 Likes

It’s like that time Hacksaw Jim Duggan told Nikolai Volkoff that he couldn’t sing the Soviet national anthem because he was “in the land of the free”.

9 Likes

What ads?

14 Likes

“I don’t have anything against black people, I’m just proudly displaying the symbol of a cause built around the explicit purpose of keeping them enslaved forever.”

Saying the Confederate flag merely “implies” racism is like saying the Nazi flag merely “implies” anti-Semitism. It’s about as explicitly racist as you can get short of that sign Bruce Willis’ character was forced to wear in “Die Hard 3.” (The one in the original theatrical edit, not the “I hate everyone” version shown in the edited-for-television cut.)

7 Likes

Have you ever met a non-white person wearing or using a Confederate flag on their property?

8 Likes

To be fair, it has been employed by southern rappers:

As did Little Jon and Kanye West… not without controversy of course.

Doesn’t really change the nature of the thing when used in a particular context by particular people, of course, or when it’s flown above a state house.

And I can’t say I ever seen a person of color fly it over their house.

One more, from a prof at GSU’s African American studies department:

10 Likes

And we all know that only black Americans like Paul Robeson harboured any pro-USSR sentiments, so quite right too.:stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Another reason to put the flag in the same category as the N-word.

7 Likes

I’m fairly certain I saw this on TV as a kid!

1 Like

Indeed! Works for me. I feel no need to fly it, even though one side of family has strong southern roots.

5 Likes

“Only those ones, you know which ones I’m taking about!”

2 Likes

I remember it well - mainly because even as a kid the irony of that statement wasn’t lost on me. I looked for a clip on the intertubes before posting, but no luck. Negativland sampled this in one of their songs so at least there’s proof I didn’t imagine it.

4 Likes

Why is the guy in the sign next to ‘Anti-Sodomy’ wearing a condom on his head? :thinking:

2 Likes

Still going on. Look at the way Rusev was handled in his Cena and Swagger feuds. :rolling_eyes:
Remind me who was the face in those again…

Vince gonna Vince. He might not be good at either geography or human rights, but he knows how to stick with the booking for a crappy gimmick despite crowd reactions.