It's really easy for fired, dirty cops to walk into a new police job in a new town

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/09/12/its-really-easy-for-fired-d.html

3 Likes

Dog have mercy!

4 Likes

If only the police departments had systems in place to compare the names, fingerprints, and appearance of people using databases to determine if those people had criminal records or had been arrested in the past …

34 Likes

Professional Courtesy

6 Likes

If only the police received a criminal record for committing a crime.

28 Likes

The one time I’ve been arrested was for photographing misbehaving police officers. When I told the story to my coworkers, one of them said, about the cop who started it, “Oh, I went to high school with her - she’s been a bully since 8th grade!” She’d also formerly been on the police force in another nearby town, and had left after some lawsuit (not sure if she was suing them or they were suing her?)

My case eventually got dropped (even though the camera film mysteriously got exposed in the evidence room), but when my friend’s trial happened (basic crime was being a young guy driving an old beat-up car), the cop perjured herself on the witness stand, and was allowed to get away with it because my friend’s car registration really had expired, even though her assertion that she could tell that while driving down the road was blatantly dishonest.

11 Likes

The police here are just as corrupt and incompetent, the article below is one of many instances where they have failed dismally again and again to protect young people.

But they very rarely get fired or investigated and one young girl in Scotland approached the police at least twenty two times and they did nothing.

You know, up in my neck of the woods, not only does every K-12 teacher need a CORI background check, they now fingerprint them all too. So teachers are under more scrutiny than police.
Sure.
Why not.

15 Likes

I think they have those in other countries or other planets.

2 Likes

I would “like” this, but, well, I’m sure you understand. :frowning:

2 Likes

This is why, when a cop is caught doing something blatantly illegal and doesn’t get charged/convicted, hearing that they’ve lost their job is no consolation (and even that is rare enough). This is a seriously fucked up system. There really needs to be federal oversight of the country’s police forces - in terms of training, tracking and holding officers to account.

8 Likes

Most police corruption and problems would probably go away with the elimination of the union. They’ve become to powerful and only seem to lookout for their own, no matter who or what else is harmed.

7 Likes

I had to pass a background check (against FBI db, iirc) to work at Disney World, and some sort of background check (not sure how stringent) for my new job at a pharmacy (I’m not dispensing drugs, but they gotta make sure that kind of merch is protected).
But the police, who are provisionally allowed use of deadly force and far reaching access into civilians’ lives don’t serious background checking policies?!

10 Likes

If the cops want to be paramilitary organizations, we should treat being fired from the police like a Dishonorable Discharge. They lose the rights to ever be a cop again, the right to keep and bear arms and the right to vote. Separate from any legal action that may be taken. To ensure it’s not used against whistleblowers etc, we’ll include an appeal process that is handled in Federal Court (in a different
district if the sworn officer is of the Federal level).

Or we could end the disparity in prosecution and punishment for police officers. Barring such systemic changes as elected police review boards partnered with special prosecutors for police misconduct for every department, legislating some responsibilities to balance their privileges is a good start.

8 Likes

Heading for a Judge Dread system?

Remember the quote from Blade Runner? “If your not cop your little people”!

If you go back to the nineties the BBC were setting up for a broadcast the next day and filmed a coloured person being stopped, dragged out of a car and beaten.

It was shown on the nine o clock news but not on the ten o clock!

He was paid off and no one was brought to justice over the matter.

1 Like

My experiences in Carlisle (in 2004) back this up. I was getting regular transphobic abuse from the local fascists, stones and bricks thrown at my windows, death threats through my letterbox and other similar stuff. I was attacked in daylight just metres away from a major road, the case was dropped with what I now realise was a threat that I would be charged with ABH if I complained (There is some evidence that this was the CPS rather than the police).

Eventually I had a a police officer who was sympathetic tell me that the police wouldn’t protect me and if I didn’t leave there was a good chance that one of my abusers would kill me (It sounded kinder when they said it). I’ve lived in Oxford ever since.

One of them eventually did something that the police couldn’t ignore. He got arrested a year or two later while trying to kick down the mayor of Carlisle’s door, while shouting that he was going to stop the homosexual agenda or something similar. It should have never got that far though.

3 Likes

Spotted this today.

I don’t get it really as this an easy one to clear up, increase their figures for crimes solved and look good in the public eye.

Probably would have found other stolen items at the residence and maybe even drugs, what a total fail.

2 Likes

There’s a very simple answer to that. The story is in the Daily Mail, so if it happened at all, it was probably entirely different to how the Mail alleges that things went down but they figure that the potential damage of having to print a retraction is far outweighed by the benefit of printing yet another hateful article pushing their bullshit, cryptofascist agenda.

Or yeh, it’s possible that these fat, lazy police officers were too busy protecting migrants and paedophiles and that we should replace them with a private paramilitary force as we bring back the death penalty. Your mileage may vary, depending on exposure to the Daily Mail.

3 Likes

Granted it is a bit of a rag and normally check other newspapers to substantiate the article, but didn’t bother on this occasion.

In at least one of the cases mentioned in the article the person in question was convicted:

Mr. Sullivan, who became the police chief in Cedar Vale, Kan., after being convicted on a harassment charge for kissing a 10-year-old girl

2 Likes