Joe Biden apologizes for saying black voters choosing between him and Trump 'ain't black'

Another gaffe? I don’t think so? This is the real Mr. Biden.

3 Likes

Christ, what an asshole.

2 Likes

And do not forget:

7 Likes

Black Americans are in an abusive relationship with the Democratic party
Derecka Purnell in The Guardian

1 Like
3 Likes

If Biden would just STFU then the election will be about Trump

Voters will vote for the imaginary Uncle Joe in their heads if the real one doesn’t ruin everything

12 Likes

OMG it’s a little late to suddenly realize who Joe Biden is.

He is all gaffes. He’s made of gaffes. Everybody knew this. This was known information.

13 Likes

And he still won the primaries, which means that primary voters were willing to look past his mediaballs. Let’s hope that continues on to the general.

3 Likes

Two out of three ain’t bad.

4 Likes

OH YES INDEED he has 39% of the delegates and thus the primaries are over

Truly this is the best of all possible worlds

9 Likes

If you prefer, “he won the primaries that have been held so far, which means that primary voters were willing to look past his mediaballs.” I do think he has a pretty good chance of winning the rest.

1 Like

Oh it’s about what I prefer now?

I didn’t prefer to change the subject to “who won the primaries,” like that proved anything

4 Likes

I agree that what Biden said was inappropriate and stupid, but based on the coverage that this is getting in the news, I would be all for Biden sticking to the script only if the script includes controversial sound bites that would be repeated over and over in the news. Otherwise, Trump is going to keep dominating the waves and choosing the subjects that are being discussed. As Oscar Wilde said “The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.” We shouldn’t let Trump dominate and monopolize the news cycle.

In addition, the Bidenisms can make the average Joe feel closer to the Democratic candidate. Polished and bland speech will get generally ignored, while supporting the notion of the Democratic establishment being an out-of-touch elite.

1 Like

You pointed out that everyone knows that Biden is “made of gaffes”. That is true. My followup point was that they voted for him anyway. This is also true.

5 Likes

Obama and Bill Clinton (and FDR and JFK before them) were able to connect with people without descending into embarrassing-grandpa logorrhoea (like Biden) and could simultaneously discuss serious issues and policy without sounding a desiccated and cold technocrat (see Kerry and HRC). Sanders and Warren were also able to strike that balance despite lacking Obama’s off-the-charts charisma.

For most candidates, it’s not about avoiding polished and bland speech but about being willing to listen to those “average Joes”, digesting it, and taking a few moments to bloody think before opening their mouths. That shouldn’t be difficult for a politician, but it always has been for Biden (who, unfortunately, won’t or can’t stick to a script, either). The support of the Dem establishment got him the nomination, but the awfulness of his opponent is only going to get him so far in a tight national race in 21st century America.

14 Likes

:thinking: :woman_shrugging:

10 Likes

Yeah, it was corny – not Cornpop corny, but corny. The lip-biting was another example. But watch his speeches or how he interacted with people on the campaign trail. He has the touch, but he also clearly understood and articulated policy and issues (agreeing with him on the issues is a separate matter – in retrospect he was the start of what became a very destructive Third Way trend that continues with Biden).

Also, I never took Clinton’s appearance on Arsenio as pandering to or being patronising to African-Americans. But I’m not black, so perhaps it was taken as such even though Arsenio Hall’s show was popular across all racial demographics.

13 Likes

I don’t know…

FWIW, I watched it pretty religiously.

10 Likes

You know, Joe, just because Trump says far worse multiple times a day for years on end and gets away with it still doesn’t mean it’s okay for you to do it even once. Our side is supposed to have standards.

9 Likes

The problem is, the Democratic establishment Democratic primary voters chose Biden, not Warren or Sanders, so we have to play with the hand that we have been dealt. Trying to force Biden into something that he is not will not work. Asking him to STFU will allow Trump to monopolize the news cycle. Leveraging Biden’s quirks may be the best option.

7 Likes