Joe Biden projected to win Michigan, Mississippi, & Missouri Democratic primaries

What did Bernie offer people who endorsed him?

3 Likes

Probably the same thing. That’s how politics works. The only difference is in this country we have a duo-oply whereas in other countries they’re forced to work together because of it being a multi-party system.

Well - then he was too stupid to win and should have upped his bid.

Bernie could have started a third party if that was his concern.

3 Likes

No, and in fact most don’t use primaries at all. Bigger 3rd parties have been moving in that direction, but even the two biggest (greens and Libertarians) only have primaries in some subset of the states, and many of their delegates are chosen other ways.

Those that do use primaries generally get put on the state’s ballot, as a matter of convenience.

1 Like

Buddy, Warren ain’t Judas, and Bernie definitely ain’t Jesus.

9 Likes

Trading the future of progressive policy to someone running that is the supposed anti-thesis of your campaign? ya… that’s pretty close to Judas.

And this is a problem, why? Warren dropped out when it was pretty crystal clear she had no path to victory. Is was the right and dignified thing to do, even if it pains a lot of us to have seen this happen. I doubt there was any quid pro quo here with Biden since she had no shot of winning anyway.

She is not endorsing anybody right now, and that’s her right to do so. If she gets a seat in a Biden cabinet, that’d be just lovely. She would make a wonderful Secretary of State. I am hoping that she will stay in the Senate until her state gets a D governor. We can’t afford to lose any seats in the Senate at this point, and in Massachusetts, the governor fills a Senate vacancy.

8 Likes

Because it’s anti-thetical to what she was campaigning against. It’s kinda like: “Whos side are you on?”… O ok. I guess you’re on the side of the old democratic party that delivered us Donald Trump. Good luck with that election thingy.

derry-girls-sister-michael-christ

Only men have agency… or deserve loyalty.

Keep telling yourself that.

8 Likes

Leaving a whole bunch of other stuff aside, what, specifically has Warren “traded,” to whom has she traded it, and what is she getting in return?

4 Likes

A position in Joe Biden’s cabinet. My guess is Secretary of State.

There’s not a shred of evidence anything like this actually happened. Why would Biden make a deal with Warren for her to drop out, not give him an endorsement, and then promise her a cabinet position when she had no chance of winning or swaying the delegate count in any meaningful way?

(And if this actually did happen, it would be super low on my “fucks given” scale over everything else.)

7 Likes

And your evidence for this is what, specifically?

4 Likes

I hear Bernie offered her the state of Idaho. Poor choice.

3 Likes

Because if you do the math, if it was 1:1 with Bernie + Warrens support. Bernie would’ve sweeped both Super Tuesdays’. Same could be said if he did vice versa. Hence you’re trading Biden the election for a cabinet seat.

Bernie can not fail. He can only be failed!

As Digby said about W’s supporters

“Conservatism cannot fail, it can only be failed. (And a conservative can only fail because he is too liberal.)… In this I actually envy the right. When they fail, as everyone inevitably does at times, they don’t lose their faith. Indeed, failure actually reinforces it… The Republicans are smart enough to rid themselves of failure by always being able to convince themselves that the failure had nothing to do with their belief system.”

7 Likes

Rookie move. You gotta go North Carolina or better in that position.

3 Likes

I’m extremely skeptical this would have tipped the balance in any meaningful way - certainly not to the level you’re suggesting. I guess the great things about “what if’s” is that you can’t prove or disprove them.

6 Likes

Wait, you were saying Warren needed to drop out ASAP to stop “stealing” progressive votes from Sanders. Now you’re blaming her for dropping out? Make up your damn mind.

7 Likes

Here’s some math for you: (assuming support migrates to Sanders or Warren and is 1:1)

Iowa: 44.1% 20 delegates to Buttigieg 26.2 and 14 delegates.

Massachusetts: 33.5% 48.1 47 delegates to Biden 33.5% and 35 delegates.

Maine: 48.7% 11 delegates to Biden 34% 9 delegates.

This is not even putting into the calculation that delegates are awarded proportionally, so the number of delegates to be gained is probably larger, even if 100% of her voters don’t migrate over.