Kanye West says he's going "Death Con 3" on Jews

So cool!

I’m guessing a trade route. There were Jewish populations all along the Silk Road, for example.

ETA: having read the (archived) WaPo article, I agree: I have cousins in Tunisia, and that’s definitely a West Asian line, as opposed to Morocco, which is Sephardic (Spain & Portugal mixed in). And of course, little to no sub-Saharan Africa, because boy-oh-boy, that desert really does create a strong natural divider!

16 Likes

Indeed! I think people today don’t realize just how mobile people were in the distant past. Humanity has always been on the go!

21 Likes

As @Brainspore said, his mental illness is not an excuse. Plenty of people with mental illness manage just fine not being racist or anti-Semitic.
I refuse to give him a pass.

19 Likes

“Death Con?”

22 Likes

There were empires before Rome? Who knew!

17 Likes

Cbs Reaction GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

14 Likes

In a similar vein, modern people frequently view bodies of water as though they were barriers to our ancestors, whereas those same ancestors often saw them as highways.

25 Likes

snl s reactions GIF

It’s easier and quicker to build a boat and head off over the ocean or down a river than to try and get there on horseback or on foot! I don’t think people are aware of how far afield the Vikings went, for example… Those dudes went all over the place…

ocean ship GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

19 Likes
22 Likes

Amazing!

14 Likes

Bring an asshole and being bipolar can be mutually exclusive.

12 Likes

It’s actually a pretty amazing story. Israel secretly landed transport planes there and pulled them off to Israel. One of these flights still has the world record for the most passengers in one flight (1086 passengers on takeoff, 1088 on landing). They didn’t have that much choice, but obviously where they ended up was a lot better than being in Ethiopia. Unfortunately they now face discrimination within Israel, but still, it must be better than staying in Ethiopia.

There are other groups in Africa claiming to be Jewish, but these are far more dubious claims than the Ethiopian Jews and Israel isn’t accepting them.

Groups like the Black Hebrew Israelites are purely an American thing, with zero connection to Judaism, and Israel would probably turn them away at the border if they even tried to come in as tourists. These guys aren’t even coherent in their rambling claims about whatever it is they are trying to express. You can find videos of them on Youtube if you want to see how nuts they are. Again, pretty sad if Kanye is being influenced by their rants.

10 Likes

I was part of that operation, albeit in a small, administrative way (safely in a U.S. city, in an office).

23 Likes

Cool!!!

15 Likes

Yeah, and comments like his need to be immediately attached to their beliefs every time someone parrots it. It’s like the Soros thing; I actually doubt that many of the people claiming Soros is funding (whatever crazy shit they’re saying today here) actually know he’s Jewish or how he’s been used as a scapegoat for anti-semitism, but that’s exactly why it needs to be called out. If the person who says it is ignorant of the connection, they need to be educated and if they are aware of the connection, their audience needs to be educated.

Since he’s been hanging out with Candace Owens lately, I have no doubt he is 100% aware of where it comes from.

11 Likes

8 Likes

Fighting back against TERFs?

I’ve reported accounts that literally have "_____"MustDieXXX (only you know, fill in the blank and increment to the next available number because of course there are dozens of them) only to receive a “Nope. No violation here” reply.

Twitter safety team is completely useless.

19 Likes

Golly, I can’t wait to see what becomes of the platform once Musk removes the few safeguards against hate speech and violence that still exist.

16 Likes

There are also some Black Hebrew Israelites who emigrated to Israel and were finally accepted. :person_shrugging:

5 Likes

The story is plausible, and I certainly won’t second-guess people who choose to live within an often persecuted religious framework, but their claim is based on a vision, not DNA.

That’s the interesting thing about the Jewish faith: it’s the only religion that has actual genetic proof. One might not currently practice the religion for a variety of reasons, but it’s a biological heritage as well as a spiritual one, so one can’t get away from it entirely.

10 Likes