Karen who can't believe she has to wear a mask to enter a supermarket confronts store manager

1.) I noticed the Asian market near me was the first market to require masks and gloves for entry (the theory is that they still have lots of relatives back in China, and knew before the rest of us how serious the threat was.) They were reasonable about it, and would sell you a disposable mask and gloves for only $1. Still I saw people leaving in frustration and anger. A week later they were also limiting the number of customers in the store at once, the line was 50 people long before opening at 10am.

2.) “Freedom” is a magic buzzword now. Do the people angry over their loss of freedom because they have to wear a mask get angry that they have to follow speed limits, or can’t shoot their gun in the air in the city on July 4th? No, because they know it’s their kid who could get run over, or it’s their car that could get a bullet hole in the windshield.

3.) Masks and gloves and social distancing are intended as temporary measures until we get the illness under control. The hardcore Libertarians among us only offer the solution of “let people die.” Which is really just admitting you don’t have any solution at all.

43 Likes

this took place in the affluent town of Dana Point, California.

Karen Point, California?

14 Likes

It is just another word for nothing left to lose.

20 Likes

Yes, cancer treatment / chemotherapy can interfere with lung function. The solution should be to wear a face shield instead, as we see below with Kevin Drum:

BTW, if you can breath easily with your mask on, it probably isn’t working.

31 Likes

eh, maybe is you have issues getting enough oxygen? You would think she would have an oxygen condenser with her then… My bet is it is like these people who are “allergic” to mushrooms, or whatever, and it turns out they just don’t like them.

6 Likes

Coronavirus ain’t got nuthin on stupid for being contagious and incurable.

6 Likes

Cause being over entitled is a protected class now.

6 Likes

Hey Karen!

3 Likes

Terminal stupidity.

9 Likes

The Karen meme is a strange one. I went down a very dark twitter hole last night of the Lilly Wachowski v. Elon Musk and Invanka Trump tweetening, and “Karen” was invoked methodically by pro-Trump, anti-trans right-wingers as a figurehead of P.C./cancel culture, and well as a strange proxy for nanny-state left-ism. They did explicitly mention the central “can I speak to your manager” kernel exemplified here, but to them, it was an obvious left-wing boogeyman related to forcing businesses to be…nondiscriminatory?

Seeing the Karen meme in the hands of angry anti-trans right wingers triggered (get it?) my brain to shed some schadenfreude-y confirmation biases and start considering whether all this 'Karen" business is rapidly sliding into generic misogyny. But even short of that, it is a sad comment on our current climate that Karen be such a universal lightning-rod, but even then, fail to unite us. Great, thanks for trying anyway, Karen.

23 Likes

yes, but there is no cure for stupidity

1 Like

As much talking as she’s doing, I doubt she’s having any issues with oxygen.

10 Likes

If Fox News told them to be angry about those things, they would be.

16 Likes

I went grocery shopping here in Colorado Springs last Thursday around 6pm. Half the customers still weren’t wearing masks, the cashier had a mask, but it wasn’t covering his nose, and he wasn’t wearing gloves, and the bagger wasn’t wearing any PPE at all.

So it goes, I guess.

8 Likes

Perhaps the pro-Trump crowd is ashamed of the parallels the Karen image has to pro-Trump ignorance and racism, and is trying to takeover and subvert the meme so it can’t continue to be used against them?

14 Likes

Ugh. Any business that advertises itself as being militantly devoted to enforcing social distancing and mask requirements is going to get my money. With a bonus for any store that actually requires people to use one-way aisles as one-way aisles. I want remorseless guards with cattle prods enforcing this shit.

20 Likes

According to her biography, Lewis served in the United States Army for five years, where she became a paratrooper. After being diagnosed with lupus, she was discharged.

And she has lupus.

The stupid, it burns.

7 Likes

“Right to refuse service to anyone”. She did not produce any evidence she was in a protected class, so, buhbye Karen.

4 Likes

So she probably has a prescription for the hydroxychloroquine magic beans. She’s invincible!

5 Likes

Yeah right? Does not seem likely.

2 Likes