Keep up with the latest Twitter meltdown news at this site dedicated to monitoring Musk's daily f*ckups

Needs to go get his money back.

13 Likes

18 Likes

I really can’t imagine what he thinks the business of Twitter actually is.

Next, he’ll be charging for retweets and likes.

10 Likes

It’s not even the fun kind!

2 Likes

Maybe he’ll try to take advantage of the mass exodus by charging people to delete their accounts.

16 Likes

I was reading Twitter’s 10K for 2021 where they describe their risks and revenue. They brought in $5B in total revenue with a total loss of $500MM, so not a profitable business. They have a lengthy section on risks, and it seems Elon is trying to cross them off one by one (that is, engaging in the risky behaviors).

10 Likes

This honestly is kind of why I’m still somewhat, to a degree, convinced he’s doing this intentionally. It’s like he took the risks section of the 10Ks and the previous four years financials, and are using it as a guidebook on how to make decisions. Almost exactly. He’s just going through them one by one.

1 Like

And that was before Elon took over with all that borrowed money. Was it $1B/y to service that debt?

ohnoesiy6qx7

eta: I guess he made it sound attractive: Crack that big salary nut, while remaining at $5B revenue, and pull out of the dive… Except he just fired the advertising and partnership people, and he’s got a huge regulatory cliff that he’s going to smack into in so many countries, assuming the site itself doesn’t flame out through lack of technical people. :man_facepalming:.

7 Likes

Thanks, I appreciate the sympathy from you and euansmith, though I’m not trying to make it about me- just pointing out that it’s a position that makes it very difficult to find time to stay healthy, yet somehow Mr. Moneybags, who doesn’t have any kind of actual responsibility, who could entirely walk away from the entire Twitter debacle and not even feel the consequences financially, is seemingly unable to turn his vast wealth and total freedom towards his own health or pleasure.

21 Likes

Oh, trust; I know you’re not… we see that kind of behavior around here so frequently, it would be difficult not to recognize it.

Point taken that Musk doesn’t seem to use his immense resources very wisely; not even when it comes to his own physical well being.

14 Likes

In a set of emails sent around midnight PT on Friday, Musk asked to meet with “anyone who actually writes software” on Friday afternoon. He told people to line up on the 10th floor of Twitter’s San Francisco headquarters, where he’s been working since taking over the company about three weeks ago, at 2 p.m. PT.

I hope someone posts video of that circus. I guess he wants to get as many hands on that keyboard as possible.

5_55_55f3ffc8_hands-keyboard

11 Likes
8 Likes

:rofl: if there ever were a better time to post that clip again. I can just see Mushy storming into the cube farm, “Everyone buddy up! I want two to a terminal, pronto! Hardcore guys let’s go!”

10 Likes

He might very well try to bring this back into style.

8 Likes

And get rid of the open plan tables and have them sit two to a desk.

7 Likes

I still have a FORTRAN77 certificate lying around somewhere…

8 Likes

Pair programming is still very much a thing, except it’s done as a mentoring exercise (where it excels), not a productivity exercise (where it certainly does not).

My Occam’s-razor-o-meter tells me this is probably closest to the mark: That his plan was cut staff to save a bunch of money and leave revenue unaffected, and that all imploded when advertisers went away, hence the “find a way to make money” $8chan exercise.

Same reason I don’t believe @anon85524460 's 4d-chess idea. I imagine that there’s nothing in the whole world that would convince Elon Musk to look like a complete fool by tanking twitter that any of his “friends” could offer. He’s recently gone from 2018’s mention in ST Discovery as a visionary to 2022’s mentioned in Quantum Leap as the worst-case scenario for privately-funded research and development. The idea that someone this narcissistic would choose to torpedo his reputation for someone else is a total nonstarter, let alone leveraging his other corporations to do so!

18 Likes

Stealing this.

8 Likes

Time to start tweeting about the lads from Atlanta, Georgia.

10 Likes

In my limited experience of coding, I was amazed at how easy it was to spot issues with someone else’s code; and how impossible it was to spot issues with my own.

13 Likes