Keeping it light -- what TV shows do you find unwatchable?

If I were to make a Karnaugh map of sitcoms with abusive TV families versus dysfunctional families, Everybody Loves Raymond and The Honeymooners would be the only notable shows occupying the “abusive, not dysfunctional” square in the grid. There are plenty of shows where the family dynamic is certainly dysfunctional but not abusive, and other shows like Titus * where the dynamic is abusive but it’s called out as such. Even as a small child The Honeymooners upset me, because Ralph was abusive but we were expected to play along like it was all okay. Everybody Loves Raymond is a continuation in that same theme.

*great show, really miss it

If I think about Friends, it’s utter nonsense. None of it makes any sense. However, I watch it for the gags and little inside jokes. Same thing with Seinfeld.

5 Likes

I don’t even watch that damn show but the SPN fandom was ALLLLLL over that.

Helps the actors are in on the joke. :wink:

5 Likes

Oh goodness yes. I really wanted to like this show. It had a great cast including Harry Lennix in his usual “jerkass with a heart of gold” role, and of course James Spader wonderfully chewing up every scene he was in not to mention the numerous notable guest stars and supporting characters. I was even willing to forgive the hokey premise, after all Veronica Mars was wonderful in spite of its completely hokey premise.

I basically wrote it off during the completely cliched twist reveal in Season 1 of the husband being a secret super spy and assassin. Give me a fucking break. I got through part of Season 2 and just gave up.

5 Likes

Ah, thanks! I don’t see the resemblance myself, but at least now I know who we’re talking about.

2 Likes

How about just the local news ?

The writers drive me KRAYZEE by turning a 20 second story into a minute and half of what they think is more dramatic. (And also fills air-time.)

They constantly talk in ‘duplicate’ form…IE:

"A 17 year-old teenager
went to the ATM machine
and was entering her PIN number
when a stranger she didn’t know
snuck up from somewhere
and demanded cash be withdrawn
…etc., etc.

2 Likes

I can’t read this without hearing Blasphemous Rumours in my head.

3 Likes

Yes, that’s exactly when I stopped watching.

2 Likes

I love that show. :slight_smile: The downfall of humanity’s just an extra bonus.

2 Likes

Local news can be really stupid. Mine comes from Detroit, so small time robbery at ATM’s doesn’t normally rate unless it’s a very slow news week. The NBC and ABC affiliates are much more likely to show feel-good puffery on those slow weeks, though, because it’s Detroit: America’s Most Hated City (and we all know it). It’s enough to make it mostly watchable.

3 Likes

Oh, there we go. I’ve had trouble putting into words why I always thought that Seinfeld was downright obnoxious, but you put it in a nutshell.

6 Likes

Give me a break. That’s was Spader bringing Spader, and he spadered himself.

No. Apologies.

I really liked it, but found the conclusion grated on me.

5 Likes

I have bad news and worse news. First the bad news. Will and Grace is returning to NBC. The worse news is Debra Messing promises it’ll be just like the original.

My wife loved this show. I will be walking the dog or at the gym.

6 Likes

I couldn’t stand it, BUT it was probably a small part of the process that started some gears in my adolescent head thinking being gay might be a normal thing.

6 Likes

And what did the viola ever do to you?!?

1 Like

Sure, when you are being manipulative using the straw man fallacy, you do. You just sound silly.

Keeping it light is definitely not name calling. Be nice, please.

17 Likes

I had to listen to it. Too dark to be a violin, not nearly rich enough to be a cello. What the hell use is it? Just put some violin strings on it and play bluegrass.

God do I hate this. The show is completely appropriate for that age group.

My son is in 2nd grade and has classmates who watch Walking Dead. :no_mouth:

7 Likes

I realized last night that the overly dramatic drama I hate is Greys Anatomy, not ER. ER was 20+ years ago.

8 Likes