Kentucky congressman posts dumb holiday photo of family showing off their big guns, just days after the Michigan high school shooting

During this special time of year when we come together to celebrate the birth of the Prince of Peace with good will to all we want all to know that we have the capacity to murder you all en-mass with vapid insane smiles upon our faces.

19 Likes

Unless I miss my guess, it’s the M60, made popular by this fine, upstanding icon of Jesus’ teachings.

7 Likes

I’m not a gun person at all either, but on the couch, there’s (respectively):
a M240 LMG, a MAC10 (or Uzi), a Tommy gun.

Gotta love the beaming young adult in center with the weapon of choice of South American deathsquads.

Or replicas?

1 Like

In fairness to Massie - there has always just been a mass shooting - when exactly was he supposed to post that photo?

9 Likes

Ideally? Not.

13 Likes

Impressive, but there were plenty of dicks in the pic before the shoop.

13 Likes

You can’t spell Massie without “I ass, me!”

3 Likes

Fun Fact: Mrs. Massie appears to be holding a Thompson submachine gun, the very weapon used in the Valentine’s Day Massacre in 1929. That event led to the National Firearms Act of 1934, which placed regulations on such weapons. I hope she’s paid her annual tax on it!

14 Likes

never have i truth or dare GIF by Girlys Blog

20 Likes

I think the fact that “there has always just been a mass shooting” may be the key-- that posting pics like this are part of the problem.

I’m hoping you just forgot the “/s” tag.

14 Likes

I keep seeing a lot of dismissive humor from the left around these kinds of the posts.

I worry that folks are not taking them seriously. These people are extremely dangerous. Not because the people pictured are going to be the elite GOP shock troops that are going to break down your door after The Fall, but because they signal to other fanatics and extremists that the time for violence is arriving.

…and those people are very good with firearms, and they’re practicing for a Civil War rematch to bring about a white ethno state with a passion that frankly sucks the humor out of the situation for me.

20 Likes

This is factually incorrect. For the sum of the 10 years the Brady law was in effect, there were a handful of mass shootings. Starting in 2004, ramping up to present time, there is now a mass shooting each day, minimum. The vast majority of which are conducted using weapons extremely similar to the weapons the Congresscritter’s sons on the right-hand side of the photo are posing with.

20 Likes

Why does someone who is, at best, unconcerned about mass shootings deserve fairness?

14 Likes

I prefer a different caption:
“Let us take a moment to honor the children who laid down their lives for our right to own guns”

10 Likes

If they are actually fully automatic weapons, and not replicas or deactivated guns, the $200 tax stamp is a one time transfer tax. Pretty insignificant compared to the cost of the weapons.

Or non-auto versions of the same models.

(edited to add that I’m in pretty restrictive CA, and could buy an UZI that was semi-auto only, and had a magazine that was only detachable with a key, and was 10 rounds or less for the mag, but go one state over and…)

I’m pretty suspicious though that since this person is a congresscritter, that these are the real thing, that the $ involved is nothing to him, and getting the proper paperwork is probably also not an issue. (because you know, he’s the right color, rich, and politically connected…)

5 Likes

Not to mention that the normalized near ubiquity of killing sticks is a national acceptance of risk and danger that shouldn’t be joked about either. I think joking about it trivializes it, and thus further normalizes it.

8 Likes

In unfairness to the rest of us…because of him there will probably be another real soon.

11 Likes

If Massie helps to fix that problem, I am fine with him posting whatever whenever he likes. So long as he is one of the ones perpetuating it, he gets to wait the same length as time as people who have really clever lynching jokes have to, and can go to hell while he’s at it.

As has been pointed out, the connection between mass shootings and Christmas isn’t incidental, it is literally to do with the last one.

7 Likes

Doesn’t matter. The firearms could be photoshopped in and the message would be exactly the same.

15 Likes