Kentucky lawmaker shoots himself after being accused of molesting teenager

11 Likes

He killed himself…

7 Likes

Yeah, if only the Supreme Court wasn’t set to legalize same sex marriage in 2015, Roy Moore never would have sexually abused a 14-year-old in 1981.

6 Likes

I saw this story last night and was struck by this:

“The young woman, now 21, told KyCIR that for years she had considered Johnson to be a “second dad.” She became close with his daughter, Sarah, and familiar with the boozy weekend parties Johnson would throw at the “Pope’s House” — the fellowship hall next to the Heart of Fire Church. Those parties, KyCIR reported, featured scantily clad women, body shots and costumes.”

How can people square this stuff with their religious posturing? Blows my mind.

18 Likes

I think we need a video collage now of Kentuckians explaining why they voted for Johnson.

4 Likes

Because they’re fakes and charlatans. These are the ones the Bible warns xtians about in the last days. I am not an xtian, but I was raised in a Methodist home and I do know my Bible. All of these charlatans, Jim Bakker, Moore, all the politicians, Orrin Hatch, Franklin Graham, this ass fuck, the list goes on and on. They are wolves in sheeps clothing and unfortunately, xtians in todays world do not see the words written in their own ‘good book’. “They too have been deceived.”

10 Likes

Yes, in case you are wondering, Trump supporters online are blaming the suicide on liberals. Because…communism or something?

4 Likes

“Hey man, nice shot”

(context)

1 Like

good thing he had easy access to guns. also, this.

3 Likes

If only more sexual predator lawmakers chose to follow suit.

That would imply a level of self-awareness, and shame not generally seen by that crowd.

3 Likes

I would love to take the blame for it and hope other politician sexual predators follow suit. Save us all a lot of headache.

1 Like

On the other hand, consider the odds that “seek justice and confront the accused” would involve some time in court enjoying hostile cross examination about whether you were actually behaving like a real, virtuous, victim or actually asking for it, followed by some sort of weaksauce plea deal.

Cases with solid forensic evidence of violence can, and not infrequently do, still turn into “so, how excessively had you been drinking and would you say you were dressed slutty or extra slutty?” sessions in court; so expectations for “accusation against pastor senator previous dismissed without charges” can’t be that high.

Having the perp kill himself, by contrast, is pretty compelling testimony that he can’t live with himself, or at least endure facing others, after his transgressions. It’s a rare apology that is as sincere.

6 Likes

They think it’s not a sin when they do it, because they are God-fearing people of faith. To quote a character from White Teeth bu Zadie Smith, “To the pure all things are pure.”

4 Likes

This whole thing is so fucked on so many levels, but the singing puts it into a whole 'nother level of WTF.

3 Likes

I’d say it was pretty strong evidence of a man in the process of sprinting off the cliff marked “Sanity”. I guess it’s a shame his friends and supporters didn’t recognise the signs?

4 Likes

…the seven-month investigation, comprised of more than 100 interviews and thousands of pages of public records, alleges the Republican’s persona is orchestrated to mask troubling incidents — including sexual abuse, arson and false testimony.

My gut reaction upon reading this post was “well, let’s not jump to conclusions, wouldn’t it be terrible if this guy was falsely accused, leading to this downward spiral,” but only because I have vivid memories of the Bud Dwyer incident where a politician was framed and hounded by false accusations, leading him to commit suicide at a press conference. Then I read this and think, “naaawwww…” maybe he was taking the easy way out.

2 Likes

You can’t assume. But, yeah, in this case…

I suspect more is going to come to light, and he was running ahead of a tsunami of ick.

3 Likes

There’s no possible way that this story can not be a tragedy, frankly.

1 Like

I still think “the right thing” would be confessing and atoning for his crimes rather than taking his own life as a means of escaping accountability for them.

8 Likes