Kentucky's Noah's Ark religious attraction to open next summer

So, it’s like a museum, but for Creationists?

Yeesh. Yeah, I simultaneously identify with those parents and cringe at the same time. I comfort myself with the knowledge that we’ve chosen our kids’ schools with an eye toward finding a good educational fit that sets them up for a lifetime of loving learning, rather than with an eye toward getting them into a “good college” down the road. They already have advantages enough. If they want to get into, say, an Ivy League school, they’re gonna have to work for it themselves through publicly-funded schools.

That expensive private preschool thing was… ugh. Ain’t doing that again.

Everyone knows that God used magical clown-car technology to fit all the animals in the ark.

3 Likes

humptyback
cats and rats

yes, I know the damned song by heart!

1 Like

Side note: I told you “youth” was a misnomer! LOL

It’s all relative…to me, 40s is young!

3 Likes

A rollercoaster might at least help you understand Newtonian mechanics. Noah’s Ark is not likely to be contextualised to explain the way a story about a farmer who found a clever way to move his stock to higher ground during inundations (build a reed raft) turned into a myth about a world-wide flood.

OT but:
In London, the house price difference between a house in the catchment area for an “outstanding” state school, and one that isn’t, is comparable to the cost of sending a couple of children to a private school. Of course, the schools are outstanding largely because the parents are the sort who can afford houses costing over £1 million. It’s a vicious circle.

1 Like

Yes, but will it float?

1 Like

Better yet, will it blend?

5 Likes

Likely none of these folks will be familiar enough with biblical translations and historical theology to even know that there ever were unicorns and dragons in their bible. This flavor of fundie thinks that the bible hasn’t changed “one jot or tittle”…LOL.

Forget the dragons (tanniym/tanniyn) and unicorns (reym), it is the leviathan (livyathan) we really have to watch out for! (to be fair, those creatures aren’t any more imaginary or difficult to believe in then angels or demons, or an all powerful invisible being in the sky, or the giants, or the other gods of other nations…the bible is full of great stuff…lol.)

1 Like

Not likely…well at least in one piece. The structural stress of the water displacement on a wooden craft of that size would be huge, and it wasn’t built by ship builders, so um yeah, it is a building not a boat.

What surprises me most is that this huge wooden building is up to fire code…or is it?

From the homepage:

Are you building an actual Ark?

Yes, we are constructing a full-scale, all-wood ark based on the dimensions provided in the Bible (Genesis 6), using the long cubit, and in accordance with sound established nautical engineering practices of the era. It should become the largest timber-frame structure in the USA.

But would it function as a sea-worthy ship? Probably not, I don’t think the nautical engineering of the era was able to calculate the properties of a 130 m long wooden ship.

4 Likes

The thing that fascinates me about Bible Belt Christianity is how completely different it is from all other religions I’ve come into contact with.

I turned from “moderate” Austrian-style Catholic to atheist at about age 15, but I still know what it “feels” like. When I visit a mosque, a Shinto shrine, a Hinduist or Buddist temple as a tourist, it feels similar. Just like a Catholic church, those places have a certain ineffable “holy” quality. As an atheist, I naturally believe that to be an entirely human and cultural phenomenon of the mind, but that doesn’t change the “mystic” feeling attached to those places and their accompanying rituals.

American evangelicals feel different to me. Completely devoid of any of the “mystical” quality that all other religions I have ever encountered share. There’s some ecstatic shouting, which is somewhere between being embarrassing and being scary. There is no “holiness”. American religious art just feels like kitsch to me. Jesus looks like a nineteenth-century painting. Everything else looks like Disneyland. Everything is literal. American evangelicals seem to be debating the dimensions of the Ark, while Christians and Muslims elsewhere look for the meaning behind the story.

8 Likes

Hopefully they had the foresight to make it actually float so when their conservative friends allow global warming to continue and sea levels to rise they’ll all have a place to go. Ooh ooh ooh, maybe it’s actually a spaceship and this how we’ll get rid of them!

This:

versus:

5 Likes

He also used Noah’s children to preserve diseases according to Mark Twain’s Letters From The Earth. I believe it was Shem who was full to the neck with hookworms, making sure they’d be preserved.

I also remember reading somewhere the joke that with food supplies running low Shem and Japhtheth started looking at their brother and saying, “I could really go for a Ham sandwich…”

Yeah, the ark is also stuffed full of humorous potential.

3 Likes

Gah, lucky you, I have relatives there.

1 Like

You could visit and report back with a photo-tour for the rest of us! C’mon, take one for the team!

2 Likes

Sounds like a fabulous endeavor for the Church of Satan. I’d pay money to see this museum.