Kevin McCarthy failed to get House speaker votes. In fact, Hakeem Jeffries received more than he did

As if he can actually be expected to keep his word?

14 Likes

As amusing as this chaos is, remember that the last time it happened, it went on for 133 votes over the next two months.

1 Like

:wink:

12 Likes

Still more productive than a Republican-led House.

27 Likes

Perhaps because Republican donors are Republicans?

8 Likes

Well apparently the whole House got bored because they adjourned for the day.

15 Likes

Edited for additional realism.

11 Likes

That’s what I started out with, but I was picturing more Ralph Wiggam than Charlie Sheen…

9 Likes

Various congresses have been lambasted as the “do nothing congresses.” Perhaps this will enter memory as “the congress that never met”.
On the one hand, this would guarantee that Hunter Biden is never investigated. On the other, this could make passing a budget dicey.

11 Likes

A child yawns as the speakership votes go on in the House Chamber on the Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C. on Tuesday.Credit…Haiyun Jiang/The New York Times

16 Likes

I thought I read somewhere that newly elected representatives can’t be sworn in until a speaker is in place. (In fact, don’t they ALL have to be sworn in for each new session?
How are they even able to vote then?

6 Likes

Without a speaker they won’t be and they can’t.

13 Likes

Doesn’t make a difference to the outcome, but didn’t he get 202 in the first round? Or is the image in the OP wrong?

7 Likes

Will McCarthy resign when he finally admits he lost? It might take a few more votes for it to sink in; but the harder liners proved their point and will hold together.

Staying on after such a humiliating repudiation isn’t something most pols would do; but McCarthy is dumber and more craven than average.

And probably can’t get another job.

21 Likes

My bad. I misread it. I thought it was 210 votes.

3 Likes

giphy

26 Likes

So you’re saying the Dems should twist Kevin’s arm until he cries “Uncle (Joe)”?

20 Likes

17 Likes
22 Likes

Resign as a congresscritter?

Would any do that? He will have just lost the competition for being appointed House Speaker. I don’t see why that in itself disqualifies him as a regular congresscritter. Would any of them, Repub or Dem, resign for such a reason?

13 Likes