Kevin McCarthy failed to get House speaker votes. In fact, Hakeem Jeffries received more than he did

Ugh, nasty.

Young Potato Heads, more like.

14 Likes

Losers all.

13 Likes

So - after their plan to derail McCarthy works - who will the Freedum Caucus shove through?

Jordan, Biggs, Meadows, Scaliese?

13 Likes

Even the most unpopular speakers usually serve at least a year—John Boehner made it almost five

List of speakers of the United States House of Representatives - Wikipedia

12 Likes

Apparently this is what went on.

Gaetz told Ocasio-Cortez that McCarthy has been telling Republicans that he’ll be able to cut a deal with Democrats to vote present, enabling him to win a majority of those present and voting, according to Ocasio-Cortez. She told Gaetz that wasn’t happening, and also double-checked with Democratic party leadership, confirming there’d be no side deal.

“McCarthy was suggesting he could get Dems to walk away to lower his threshold,” Ocasio-Cortez told The Intercept of her conversation with Gaetz on McCarthy’s failed ploy. “And I fact checked and said absolutely not.”

22 Likes

our future?

13 Likes
19 Likes

and in the other chamber, Brooks assaulting Sumner.

10 Likes

but I think Trump’s political support has dimmed since then Arguably, he’s the cause of McCarthy’s weak position.

Naturally, Speaker Trump would use his position to launch a second coup.

15 Likes

AOC: Hey Matt, why aren’t you in jail on human trafficking charges yet? Get lost.

22 Likes

Can someone answer a question for me:

If Hakeem Jeffries (D) received more votes does this mean he will/can become the next Speaker…?

10 Likes

it’s always easier to say no about everything ( or even to tear things down ) than it is to work together to achieve common goals. ( not that the republicans even have goals in common with most americans anymore. )

12 Likes

Compelling argument here that while unlikely, that COULD happen.

16 Likes

from above:

so it is possible that jeffries could become leader. basically, he’d need to win a majority of the votes cast; not simply more votes than anyone else.

if i were a betting person, i’d guess mccarthy is currently trying to figure out tricks of how to get the fewest number of democratic reps in the chamber. something like calling emergency midnight sessions ( if something like that is possible. )

and after they do elect someone, they still have to vote on house rules… the whole thing is going to take forever i suspect.

17 Likes

A candidate needs an absolute majority of those present.

My prediction is that someone will wave a gun around, and attempt to get some of those opposition votes to flee.

14 Likes

He had an opportunity to join the Jan 6 committee as a partner to the people, Democrats and a handful of Republicans, who believe in the rule of law. He instead tried to kneecap it by putting the perpetrators on the committee. It was an opportunity to excise Trump and his followers, but he caved, and knuckled under to Trump. Had he supported the Jan 6th committee as an honest partner, he may have been able to expel the Trump supporters, either from the Republican party, or even the House. Politically risky, but the right thing to do.

16 Likes

5:27 pm – House votes to adjourn.
6:15 pm – Rep. Santos awakens, wonders where everyone went.
6:30 pm – Rep Santos is furiously trying to open the chamber doors but is locked in. The night staff are ignoring the noise.

28 Likes
5 Likes

Of course even in the extremely unlikely event Republican infighting allowed Jeffries to win the Speaker’s chair it almost certainly wouldn’t last long since the Republicans could vote to replace him at any time.

15 Likes

even if it were only for a day, it’d be so worth it. seeing the gop in disarray warms my cold cold heart.

23 Likes