Kevin McCarthy finally becomes House Speaker on 15th round of voting; Matt Gaetz loses interest after count enters teens

In the end, he had to reduce the difficulty level a bit.

4 Likes

I used to be Speaker, but then I took an arrow to my knee.

15 Likes

34 Likes

Hope the Republicans have enjoyed their week of filming attack ads for the Democrats.

11 Likes

Yeah… I have NO fucking interest in repeating the Civil War, thanks! You might not be living here right now, but it’s not a fucking joke to laugh at. People are getting hurt already, and that’s going to continue to happen. I want a functioning government free of fascists, not to be dragged through hell and back to get back to sanity… If we end up in a wide-spread conflict, tons of us are going to die, starting with the most vulnerable among us. I don’t want to see friends killed for just existing. The goal is to get these fascists OUT of government by holding them accountable for what they’ve already done. The fact that McCarthy is beholden to the far right is already a disaster.

I’d like to think things have changed, and some have grown a spine, but we’ll see. We all know that the far right is going to make ending Social Security a key part of getting the debt ceiling raised (along with forcing a balanced budget), but I can’t imagine that the Senate or Biden would support either of those… so we’d be stuck, and default.

12 Likes

Have the articles of impeachment against Biden been filed yet?

2 Likes

Having given in to the far-right kook fringe just to get out of the mud, it’ll be interesting to see what gets done with the new rule ousting any speaker. It’s not just the so-called Freedom caucus holding that over McCarthy. The other end of the House can also twist his shriveled nuts.

5 Likes

He’d love a stab at erasing very recent history also.

14 Likes

White cisgendered republicans fighting each other while wearing suits is my new kink.

2 Likes

Yep… although it’s good to keep in mind that President Obama still got a lot accomplished via executive orders. So can Biden.

11 Likes
3 Likes

McCarthy spent the last two weeks repeatedly telling Trump rallies that he wanted to hit Pelosi with the gavel when she ultimately handed it to him. I’m glad that when the time came, they let Hakeem Jeffries hand him the gavel: McCarthy behaved.

5 Likes

The only effective way I see him consolidating his power is to surreptitiously ensure the conviction of the disruptive sedition caucus, eliminating that thorn. One can only hope this is a positive step maybe culminating in his eventual removal.

3 Likes

He did it - but he is also shown to be in a weak position as leader.

2 Likes

Interested Season 10 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Hmm. That’d be kinda nice.

But, I just can’t imagine a schmuck like him getting that done.

9 Likes

Assumming the supreme court cooperates, which they won’t.

Supposedly, the new chair of the Armed Services committee believes all the Russian Propaganda about Ukraine.

1 Like

I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

1 Like

Yeah that non stop moron grin is sickening.

5 Likes

The irony of McCarthy in his victory speech declaring how his speakership and congress will be the “most transparent in history” was not lost on me given the amount of shady back room dealing that must have gone into this.

11 Likes

McCarthy is also one of those far-right insurrectionists, so…

10 Likes