Kevin Smith offers ailing Stan Lee to move in with him

It sounds like this is what Stan has already set up for his daughter and she’s constantly trying to get him to undo it so she can buy the latest Gulfstream.

10 Likes

It’s sad really. I don’t have any family that can give me nice things, I had to earn it all myself. Sometimes I wonder if people even realize how lucky they are.

4 Likes

My great uncle did that for one of his adult sons who was a bit “off” and probably would have blown it all within a year (the others just got the inheritance directly).

My friend’s father had to set one up for one of his adult sons who’s an addict. He’s sober as far as we know, but with enough money…

5 Likes

You can put a wide range of restrictions on trust assets, in terms of how they can be distributed and for what purposes.

But the only downside to this is that you are giving up control of the money to a trustee (usually I believe for an irrevocable trust the person granting the money can’t also act as trustee). That means the trustee has to be someone you trust to manage, handle, and as necessary, distribute the money.

4 Likes

This is horrible.

7 Likes

Or just trying to score the world’s most prestigious piece of comic book memorabilia. (“Oh, you have the original Alan Moore in your study? Yeah, that’s pretty cool… I guess.”)

But seriously I hope Lee finds peace somewhere. Sounds like a horrible situation.

16 Likes

I met him at a con in DC a few years ago and paid to have him signed one of my comics. I remember telling my wife that this doesn’t feel right after I actually met him and his staff. Something was off and now I think this is why.

14 Likes

As a sad, ominous aside, at the end of the event Stan autographed a photo for my niece, that simply said “Goodbye”.

8 Likes

Kevin Smith is trying to trick him into coming over so he can freeze him in Carbonite.

5 Likes

Kevin almost bit the big one less than 3 months ago.
Coming that close to death gives you a clearer lens with which to view the world.
I’d take it as sincere.
But you’d know that were you a fan of Kevin, so no matter.
Somebody’s always gotta be ‘that guy’ and I’m not saying that I disrespect you or anything you said.
‘That guy’ is often me (or ‘that beeotch’ more accurately) because cynicism can be a hobby…

2 Likes

O_O

Personally, I like the man’s movies, but that doesn’t mean that I know anything about him.

All the same, I hope the endeavor is sincere, and have no reason to suspect otherwise right now.

Heaven help Stan Lee; this is a freakin’ travesty.

5 Likes

Yes, you just reminded me about one of the church deacons at the church for which my dad was pastor. His day job was as an accountant and tax preparation, and from what my mom tells me, he got in a lot of hot water for “mishandling” money for the church. Apparently, even those you think you should trust can’t be trusted.

4 Likes

“Two for Jesus, one for me…two for Jesus, one for me…”

6 Likes

No, they often don’t, unfortunately.

4 Likes

I think @Brainspore was making a pretty obvious joke, there.

10 Likes

I don’t doubt that Kevin Smith’s concern for Stan Lee is sincere. All I’m saying is that as a comic book nerd I’m sure it is hard to overestimate the nerd cred one would gain by having Stan Lee move into one’s house.

11 Likes

It can be demanding, though…

4 Likes

This was something I noticed when a family member died, and we were spending time in cemeteries, making arrangements for the burial. There is this correlation between young men, funerals, and expensive Italian cars. The three seem to go together. The car usually looks like it costs as much as a house.

3 Likes

I can’t “like” this…

Was one of these “handlers” one of the three people mentioned in the news article? (You might not know, or if you do you might not be willing to say.) I recognize one of those names; I’d suggest Googling it but most of the results (to the extent that anyone would likely be willing to scroll through) are only about this recent news.

A rhetorical question, what (if anything) came of the Nitron effort?

ETA: I saw Stan Lee at Awesome Con in DC last year (from the back of a large convention hall, anyway) and he seemed completely lucid, especially for someone his age.

1 Like

I got an autographed poster from Stan Lee back in mid-2000 when he was at a convention promoting his soon-to-be-defunct “Stan Lee Media” company. This was well after he had become a living legend in the comic book community but before he was quite a household name for everyone else. (This was a few weeks before X-Men would become one of the first blockbusters based on a Marvel comic series.)

I later gave the poster away, because I’m an idiot.

7 Likes