KFC manager complains company is ordering them to reopen lobbies during pandemic

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/21/kfc-manager-complains-company.html

4 Likes

This is where a take-out window for pedestrians (like some Church’s locations have) would have come in handy.

29 Likes

Well, if there’s demand for walk-in customers, I think it’s a good idea to accommodate that, it’s better for people to get some physical exercise from walking than driving around in their cars.

It’s definitely not cool from KFC to not think ahead and suggest a safe way of achieving that.

But why don’t people just queue with the cars?

3 Likes

The reason drive-through restaurants do not serve walk-up customers can be explained with one word: liability.

20 Likes

What @stellans7 said. I’ve lived in college towns often enough to know how things can go down in a drive-thru on a Friday or Saturday night.

8 Likes

I was turned away at the drive though at McDonald’s as a kid on a moped. They had my food all bagged up but the manager intervened saying that they only serve motorcycles with 50 cc engine displacement or greater. Some people are just dicks.

20 Likes

I’ve been denied drive-through service on a bicycle. I haven’t been turned away on my motorcycle, but I know people who have. There’s a definite hierarchy of motorized privilege in America which we absolutely have to address now.

(To be clear, I don’t blame the service workers. I blame the car culture.)

22 Likes

Creepy Reba McEntire Colonel Sanders drops from the ceiling tiles

Try some of our all new Pandemic Chicken! With a secret blend of umpteen spices slow-walked through a biohazard research lab, and chicken bits scraped directly from the Colonel’s factory floor, we just know you’re gonna find this global health event to be finger lickin’ good!

7 Likes

https://www.girarrostisantarita.it/prodotti.html is something like KFC, it sells chicken based fast food Italian style The difference is they’re strictly walk in take away or delivery. In Italy there is a lockdown for restaurants. They stayed open because they aren’t restaurants but cops made them close. Now the owner is making an opposition inf front of a judge to get them reopened beause they are a deli shop. https://www.torinotoday.it/cronaca/coronavirus-chiusi-girarrosti-santa-rita.html

3 Likes

I really hope my fellow readers are finding a lot of things to do at home, not overwhelmed by kids and not spending too much time on the internets. I’m trying to stay conscious of how my time is being spent right now and it isn’t easy.

On that note, I offer a simple fried chicken hack: Get a Trader Joe’s Taco Seasoning packet for $0.79. I have stocked up on these - the mix is SO versatile. If you read the ingredients you’ll see it’s also perfect for chili. For fried chicken, mix one packet with a cup or cup and a half of flour. Dredge chicken in a beaten egg, then coat with the seasoning mix and fry.

Now having said that… I never ate KFC growing up. I tried it once as an adult and was disgusted with the meat. However, my brother wrote out what is believed to be a close match to the secret herbs and spices. You can get almost all of these cheap, dried on the mexican spice section of many markets (those racks with all the clear bags). That is MUCH cheaper than buying in bottles at whole foods etc.

2/3 tsp salt
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp basil
1/3 tsp oregano
1 tsp celery salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp dried mustard
4 tsp paprika
2 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp ground ginger
3 tsp white pepper
2 cups white flour

I made a batch like this except I didn’t have celery salt so I upped the regular salt slightly. I also don’t have Old Bay, but I’d buy that instead of celery salt. If you’ve never used Old Bay, it is a very versatile seasoning. Additionally I think I have ground garlic instead of garlic salt… in general I try to reduce salt (and sugar) from most recipes. I also added more heat, like 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper.

Anyway, so far so good, both for chicken and fish and chips. Costco has these triple packs of Kirkland chicken wings. One egg and maybe 1/3 cup of the powder mix was enough for one whole pack, fried in under 2 inches of peanut oil (I don’t have an air fryer).

6 Likes

You have to assume that fast food workers are working who have the virus. And without showing symptoms, how careful are they being, really, in prepping the food?

This no-sick-leave for restaurant workers is just a grumbly annoyance most of the time, but now, since I have asthma and I live with someone who has diabetes… any fast food at all seems like a foolish avoidable risk, no matter how it’s delivered.

11 Likes

Many of the restaurants around here are accepting walk-in service but there’s no seating and in some cases they make you wait outside and bring you your food when it’s ready.

6 Likes

I hear a fast food employee can’t transmit the virus as long as they submerge both hands in the deep fryer for at least 20 seconds.

8 Likes

The manager supposedly had a policy of who to serve based on engine displacement?

Sounds like a frustrated biker manager who really wanted to look down on “lesser” two wheelers…

2 Likes

Yeah over 50cc you need a driver’s license, under you just needed a scooter license. That made all the difference.

1 Like

Not sure if serious…

Restaurants where I live would probably benefit from an external window for uber eats drivers, both on motorbikes and bicycles.

1 Like

Still a weird flex for the manager unless there was some sort of weird law stating that facilities cannot serve people through a window unless they are in possession of a valid class whatever license…

Of course being on a scooter doesn’t mean you don’t have a full license, and I doubt KFC are checking licenses.

1 Like

Serious and agree, true story.

If you can get your hands on Nigerian pepper soup spice mix, that makes a nice fried chicken seasoning blend too; just add a dash of garlic powder to the spices and flour.

1 Like