Kids traumatized when horror film trailer is shown ahead of 'Peter Rabbit'

first rule of…
second rule of…

Edgy comment.

2 Likes

Oh this trailer before Peter Rabbit should be fine. The boy’s name is Peter, too!

2 Likes

How about Watership Down on Easter Sunday?

2 Likes

9 Likes

That’s what you get for not reading the TV guide properly.

Yeah, I pretty strongly disagree. some kids will be fine. some won’t sleep for a few days. Some won’t sleep well for years. Listen to the episode of Matt Gourley’s podcast I Was There Too where he discribes how he “slept” fitfully slumped in the threshold of his parent’s bedroom his entire childhood after his babysitter made him watch Halloween as a youngster. Watcher in the Wood gave me intense anxiety around mirrors for years as a kid.

Why would crippling anxiety and insomnia about life for an adult be a medical condition, but for children (who, developmentally, have a hard time separating fantasy from reality) about images of torture and death be a joke? It affects their ability to learn, play and be healthy. Also brutal for parents. Kids with busy minds will be hit the hardest, and they already have a tough time with sleep. sleeplessness stresses a whole family out. I’m with these parents 100%. no reason to make life with young kids any harder or more exhausting.

12 Likes

You may be more correct than you know. In the Royal Navy surface vessels are ‘ships’ whereas submarines are ‘boats’.

2 Likes

When I was seven years old, I watched “The Jerk” for the first time. Around the end is the scene where Steve Martin loses his fortune and is collecting “only the things I need.” The scene is hilarious but when I was so young, the concept was beyond me. It was also played so emotionally and effectively by Steve Martin that I bawled uncontrollably FOR HOURS. It’s one of my most traumatic memories.

You never know what’s going to affect a kid.

5 Likes

In the Royal Navy surface vessels are ‘ships’ whereas submarines are ‘boats’.

In the Great Bathtime Fleet it is that way as well I suspect, I wanted to work Davy in there, but there was no room!

1 Like

i hardly think a 2-minute trailer compares to seeing the entire movie of Halloween.

In Australia it’s illegal to show trailers in a movie session, where the rating of the trailer is higher than that of the movie.

Well, for some definition of illegality anyway. I suspect there will be some sort of not-totally-insignificant fine involved.

I remember being in a cinema full of adults watching Scorsese’s The Age of Innocence – which was rated G down here. The ads showing with it were somewhat of a disconnect to the audience.

1 Like

It doesn’t take more than a single image to get the mind of an imaginative child working. I still remember seeing a gory photo of some massacre in a magazine when I was in elementary school and how it made me extremely anxious for a long time because it made me realise that people do horrible things to each other.

It doesn’t have to be something as serious as that image either. I also remember being haunted for weeks by a too early viewing of “The fearless Vampire Killers”.

4 Likes

I used to work as a projectionist, back before everything got digitized (in the US, at least; I don’t know what the state of this particular Aussie theater is). Aside from Thursday night (when it was all-hands-on-deck to assemble and pre-screen the multi-reel films for the following morning’s opening), there were always only one or two people working projection at any given time, and our theater had 20 screens (“houses”). For poorly-performing films, it was often common practice to run two of them in the same house with alternating showtimes. Often, this meant running a kid’s movie and a more adult-oriented movie back to back.

You can probably guess where this is going…

When you’re in a big hurry because you’re the only staff member in the booth, there are 8 houses that need to be started in the next 10 minutes, and each film takes 2-3 minutes to thread into the projector, mistakes happen. At least once every couple of months, we would accidentally thread up the wrong film in a split-showing house. And because we were physically incapable of baby-sitting every theater, we would find out we screwed up when management radioed us on the walkie talkie. At that point, we would stop the film, yank the trailer package from the correct film, and just start it up at the feature presentation card. From the audience’s perspective, it looks like we put the wrong trailer on a movie, when we really just goofed and started the wrong movie by mistake.

In the 5 years I worked there, we never once intentionally put the wrong trailers into a film. Quite honestly, we had better things to do with our time. Screwing with trailers would have required too much work, we would have been caught immediately, and we would have gotten in serious trouble. Not just because it was inappropriate, but because every film had an assigned package of trailers, to be run in a specific order, sent directly from the movie distributor. And we would periodically get spot-checked by, essentially, secret shoppers. (We actually got a t-shirt from Pixar for passing their spot-check of Incredibles on opening weekend.) Our motley crew of projectionists were not beyond pranks and practical jokes, but never at the expense of the audience. We reserved that chicanery for new trainees.

I have no idea how practical a trailer-switch stunt would be in the digital era, but I’m guessing it would be even harder. I left before our theater was digitized, but one of my old co-workers stuck around, and as I understand it, films and their trailers are now distributed as preset bundles and everything is pre-programmed. It may still be possible to have a “wrong movie” goof, though, depending on the level of automation at the theater.

Point being, don’t attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity :wink:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.