Kristen Stewart was told to hide her sexuality if she wanted to be in a Marvel movie

Yeah, China really isn’t the only country that censors for ideological reasons.

And of course, most of the anime fans who watched Sailor Moon got the nature of the relationship anyway.

7 Likes

She was OK in still Alice.
I watch a lot of movies and I
remember (a little) that one fondly.

1 Like

Also Cher is the woman who was married to Sonny, not the character that Alicia Silverstone played in Clueless.

Hollywood is only liberal because conservatives insist it is entirely liberal and cry about it constantly. It has plenty of conservatives. They do the same thing about the news media to steer the conversation. But I’d like to point out that only conservatives put 2 actors in the whitehouse.

4 Likes

What a creative spelling for “assholes”. /s

6 Likes

Um… Mahershala Ali is obviously gorgeous, but he’s also a damn good actor.

6 Likes

Imgur

2 Likes

Context matters here, it’s quite a difference if it was.

Her manager
Her agent
A marvel exec
An exec of the new owner Disney
Some casting agency rep

Verz different motives why someone would say such thing and therefore relevance.

1 Like

I’m laughing so hard that I’m crying that they’re still holding the pizza rolls at the end…

1 Like

No doubt.
That was my point.
I didn’t see that green book movie,
or the new season of True Detective,
but I think that he is my favorite right now.
He brought something to any production (by that I mean Moonlight and Luke Cage) that no one else
could have.

Oh it definitely can be both, but we are talking about this specific instance; not her career experience as a whole. I find it dubious at best that Marvel Studios would not hire someone based on their sexual preferences. They have targeted in general good actors/fits for roles.

I find it far more likely and probable that Stewart was never asked to be in an MCU film because her talent is non existent; and I also find it more likely she brings it up to drum up interest in herself for a role and bring her name into the limelight given she has a big budget film set to release in the November time frame.

Publicity is always good in Hollywood, no?

@tuhu to reply as well to your comment…she is not wrong that doing so is not ok. I am questioning the validity of her statement that someone from Marvel Studios did so to her. Just because her stating something that is right, doesn’t mean she also cannot be lying about it having been done to her.

I will say this is not an absolute. It is true in most situations, but there are career choices and fields where PDA is frowned upon and rightfully so. Service members are specifically instructed that PDA while in uniform is strictly prohibited. That is not about gender or sexuality - it is for all service members while in uniform. So the statement is true in a general sense, but not an absolute.

She’s saying somebody said something homophobic to her.

People don’t usually bring up homophobia to “get attention”, any more than people lie about sexual harassment. It sounds like you haven’t learned anything from all the Weinstein stuff: actors don’t bring up harassment for publicity. They way more often hide it to protect their careers. They don’t bring it up because the main type of publicity it generates is angry men saying they’re lying for publicity.

So what? This is a stretch and you know it. Show me where straight service members are told to not even hold hands with their romantic partners in their everyday lives out of uniform. Even if it’s just Hollywood, asking someone to not hold hands when it’s same-sex affection when it’s okay for other actors is still pushing a homophobic double standard.

It was homophobic advice. She didn’t say it was Marvel Studios that told her, and she gets more personal bother from mentioning it than keeping silent.

2 Likes

Perlmutter is currently Chairman only. He stepped down as CEO in 2015. He’s no longer involved in the day to day operations.

1 Like

It’s irrelevant in this case, because this was about illustrating just how the industry marginalizes LBGQT+ on the regular. Someone in the business actually saying that to someone else indicates that. Even if that’s not the official position of Disney and the MCU, that doesn’t mean that someone in those incredibly large bureaucracies WOULDN’T say that. Do you honestly think that the powers that be care if they have bigots on staff, as long as the public doesn’t realize it?

Or maybe it’s to illustrate homophobia that is still pervasive in the entertainment biz, something that she has likely had to deal with as a professional - as do all LBGQT+ folks in almost ANY field or industry. This shit is still pervasive and official policies only go so far in fixing the problems. It also assumes that she’s just out for attention, as opposed to actually interesting in doing her job, which very much has a publicity component to it. Having a higher profile gives someone more of a likelihood to actually book a job or get offered a part. It IS a business that hinges not only on good story telling, but on high profiles. Is that really HER fault for speaking publicly.

And would you say that to other women, especially young women, who find her honesty about the struggles she faced helpful, in a world where we as women are constantly told that when we do our jobs, in exactly the same ways as men, we get called attention whores that need to shut up?

No. Not all.

13 Likes

Ah, sorry; that’s what I get for assuming my predilection is also yours.

Mea culpa.

He was such a much more compelling villain as Cottonmouth than the total ham that portrayed Diamondback.

5 Likes

He’s crazy (not literally). He brings something to every part that no one else can.
I really admire that guy.
I haven’t seen his season of True Detective yet, I now his contribution will be excellent.

I haven’t seen Green Book though, and don’t intend to.

1 Like

It is quite excellent.

I pirated it on purpose so as not to benefit any theater/distributors just to compare the film to Real Life accounts (I took Film Studies in college. This is the kind of thing I do).
Completely disingenuous, and not really worth either actor’s time. It was a film about current-day white people patting themselves on the back for “solving” racism with a movie.

5 Likes

Erik LaRay Harvey?
Yeah (uh, looked it up).
I like that hammy guy sometimes though, sometimes he really fits a roll.

1 Like

Yeah, who needs that shit for anything.

4 Likes

Good summary. I saw it for free on a plane flight. It was worth my time just to watch those two actors devouring scenery, but the actual script left a bad taste in my mouth.

4 Likes