Late Stage GOP Fascists Events πŸ–•πŸΎπŸŠπŸ€‘ (Part 3)

How are they blocking this if you have 50 votes & it’s a reconciliation bill?

18 Likes

Looks like that part, capping insulin for ppl with private insurers, can’t be done with reconciliation and the democrats could only get 7 GOP on board.

14 Likes

That was the best three-and-a-half minutes of my week.

2 Likes

Just wow. That is batshit-crazy stuff.
Thanks for posting.
And, of course, no thanks.

Also (3-post-limit):

And that’s just the first family to sue this asshole.
Keep going.

9 Likes

20 Likes

And the GOP not on board are going to blame the Dems in 3…

That was quick!

16 Likes
18 Likes

Huh? I thought anything attached to a reconciliation bill falls under the bill’s vote structure. That’s why they always put as much as they can in the reconciliation bills when they don’t have a majority. I mean, the cap would require funding to enforce, so it should fall under reconciliation.

I don’t get it.

7 Likes

Umm. Is that how it works? Now I’m confused too :upside_down_face:

7 Likes

my guess is that it was probably this:

Any senator may raise a procedural objection to a provision believed to be extraneous, which will then be ruled on by the presiding officer, customarily on the advice of the Senate parliamentarian: a vote of 60 senators is required to overturn their ruling. While the vice president (as president of the Senate) can overrule the parliamentarian, this has not been done since 1975.

especially since the gop has to be dragged kicking and screaming to get veterans healthcare. :confused:

really though it would make much more sense to issue those plates to pedestrians than to drivers. i mean who hasn’t yelled that phrase while trying to use some well marked crosswalk at rush hour?

8 Likes

Ah. So it still makes no sense. If the bill caps insulin under Medicare, then it’s consistent to cap it to the same level for private insurance. Such bullshit.

8 Likes

I think the issue is tax dollars. Medicaid insulin cap means less taxes spent. Private cap has no fiscal impact on fed budget. Since reconciliation is only supposed to be used for budget stuff, that’s why the private cap got kicked out
But yes. Still bullshit

Also, thanks @gatto. I spent some time poking around but didn’t find that answer.

11 Likes
6 Likes

β€œTalented” at what… hate mongering?

Unfuck them both…

15 Likes

20 Likes

look, i understand they started multiple wars in the middle east, wreaked the economy multiple times, that they’ve taken away the rights of women and pregnant people, are attacking gay and trans people, are spreading hate about immigrants, based the whole modern party on suppressing the votes of - and even the liberty of - black americans… and true, have blocked all attempts at truly public healthcare time and again - but this affects me.

can’t they fix this one thing?

20 Likes
15 Likes
15 Likes

So apparently the insulin cap was considered non budgetary, and the Senate Parliamentarian ruled that it could not be part of the reconciliation bill, which is why it was vulnerable.

I think the Senate reprehensibles listed above were just giddy to crush any legislation no matter what, just like the PACT act. 50Β’ says they agree to it after they suffer the blowback.

17 Likes

Face: meet leopard. Again.

11 Likes