Late Stage GOP Fascists Events 🖕🏾🍊🤡 (Part 4)

6 Likes

“There are only a few companies who can release that movie,” says one distribution executive who has screened the film. “Any company who has a ‘for sale’ sign or that has the intention of merging [or] buying someone will be hesitant to do it, as there is a chance [Trump’s] regulators will be punitive if he’s elected.”

Studios that are considering merging or selling include Sony, which has joined forces with Apollo to make a $26 billion cash offer for Paramount, a major studio currently for sale. Elsewhere, Warner Bros. Discovery is saddled with debt and seen as a potential acquisition or merger target. One of the companies that could be interested is Comcast, which owns Universal. But any of those deals would need to pass muster with regulators.

And that’s not the only issue. Some companies just don’t want to risk alienating a substantial part of the country. Disney, which emerged battered and bruised from its battle with Florida over the state’s laws affecting the LGBTQ+ community, might be loath to touch a movie like “The Apprentice” and re-enter the culture wars.

Complicating matters is the fact that the film’s investor, billionaire Dan Snyder, must approve any sale. Sources say the former Washington Commanders owner and Trump friend was furious with the portrayal of the former president after screening a cut of the movie in February. While the first half of the film presents a kinder, gentler Trump, depicting him as a social striver with daddy issues, the second half sees the future reality TV star-turned-politician devolve into a narcissist who loses his moral compass and is disloyal to his mentor, Roy Cohn. He’s also depicted raping his first wife, Ivana, and abusing amphetamines.

In other words, cowardice

10 Likes

https://www.axios.com/2024/05/31/mike-johnson-trump-supreme-court

Johnson urges Supreme Court to “step in” on Trump verdict

House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) called for the U.S. Supreme Court to “step in” to overturn the guilty verdict against former President Trump in his New York hush money trial.

Why it matters: It’s one of the starkest examples yet of Republicans, furious about the jury’s decision, calling for some form of intervention to protect the ex-president.

So much for the mouth flapping about states’ rights.

13 Likes

Not to be an Eeyore, but I wouldn’t be surprised if that happens, as quickly as before the debates–Tromp could then say that his corrupt convistion was “rightfully” overturned, and Biden would have trouble saying that his opponent is a convicted felon.

:grimacing: :rage:

5 Likes

I don’t see how that could happen without creating a whole ass whirlwind of unprecedented chaos which might be detrimental to the bottom line for TPBT…

11 Likes

The public statements from Trump’s supporters and legal team haven’t really articulated any kind of coherent legal theory for why SCOTUS should hear their case, let alone overturn the conviction.

They seem to keep returning to the idea that it wasn’t an impartial jury because everyone in New York already knew who Donald Trump was, but that’s essentially the same as arguing that sufficiently famous people shouldn’t be tried for crimes at all. Which is almost an extension of the “Presidents can do whatever they want without fear of legal consequences” argument that SCOTUS is already taking the time to consider for some incomprehensible reason.

13 Likes

Does the US Supreme Court have a say in this? Those were all business law NY state charges. If there were constitutional grounds to challenge those laws, I think that would have happened a while ago.

6 Likes

Trump supporters call for riots and violent retribution after verdict

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/trump-supporters-call-riots-violent-retribution-after-verdict-2024-05-31/

They love him so much that they want to share a prison cell with him.

9 Likes
9 Likes

Normally, no. Today’s supreme court? The court that has handed one election to the Republicans just a few elections ago, and that is squatting on the executive privelege question like a hen hoping if it sits long enough those corruption and integrity allegations will go away when a fascist dictatorship hatches out.

It would not surprise me if the USSC reached out its poo-covered little hand to smack the public in the face yet again and proclaim that, somehow, through a novel interpretation of stuff they just made up about the state of mind of the originators of the Constitution that the unique and special circumstances mean that Trump’s conviction is overturned. No precedent set. Really. At least for as far as sitting Democratic presidents are concerned.

2 Likes

Hogan is hardly a moderate. Despite trying to appear as an independent, he falls in line with all of the GOP’s positions. He recently had an ad claiming that the border crisis was our #1 issue while cosplaying as a Gravy Seal complete with assault rifle. “Puke emoji”

4 Likes

Even school board elections are important. :rage:

8 Likes
15 Likes
12 Likes

I am a little fascinated by what this is saying underneath.

Insurance companies are the dictionary-definition of ‘conservative’. This is information they actually need. Unless they’re going to continue what they’ve started in places like Florida, and just pull out of insuring entire areas of the country. But what would they be pivoting toward, if they’re not going to stay in the insurance business?

12 Likes

My guesses are real estate, construction, and home repair services. Climate disasters will lead to more people moving and redevelopment. :cry: People who lose insurance in areas with higher risk will have to pay for repairs themselves. I’m still not sure how they expect home sales to move forward in areas where there is no property or flood insurance available. It might lead to more state-run insurance pools or programs.

11 Likes

Exactly what I was thinking. Insurance started as a way to hedge against losses in shipping due to catastrophic weather. So let’s jump back to the 1500s when we couldn’t track and predict storms, right as storms are becoming more extreme due to climate change?

elections stand GIF

13 Likes

They want everyone else to sink, so certain are they that they will come out on top as they usually do.

8 Likes

But who would insure their properties? :rofl:

5 Likes
11 Likes