Late Stage GOP Fascists Events ๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿพ๐ŸŠ๐Ÿคก (Part 4)

To be fair, they are following the intent, if not the letter of the law. Wahl is white and the law was never intended to apply to him.

12 Likes

Sovereign citizens who are real persons retain the right to issue valid ID; unlike the corporation named the United States.

Itโ€™s right there in the secret constitution.

13 Likes

And the laws behind the laws, like itโ€™s perfectly legal to try to stage a violent armed overthrow of the government if you feel oppressed, or your jimmies are otherwise rustled.

11 Likes

In that case, who says voters have a right to elections at all? Why canโ€™t the incumbent governor (a Democrat) simply choose who takes each seat in the legislature? And since heโ€™s up for re-election this year, why canโ€™t he just say โ€œI win.โ€ Lord Vetinari style (One Man, One Vote: he alone is the Man and he has the Vote)?

15 Likes

I was lead to believe that North Carolina had courts of equity since colonial times.

7 Likes
7 Likes
16 Likes

House Speaker Mike Johnson compared himself to Moses, leading the GOP conference โ€” and America โ€” through the parted waters of the Red Sea.

Hd Reaction GIF

How is that shit not the exact kind of hubris Christians are not meant to engage inโ€ฆ

12 Likes

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

18 Likes
10 Likes

Wasnโ€™t sure where else to place this. It couldโ€™ve made the case (& perhaps the book does - this review doesnโ€™t) that an earlier precedent was the installment of a right-wing, race-baiting, red-baiting B-movie actor as governor, & then president.

8 Likes

There is also Nixon to consider (the southern strategy). And the libertarianism of Goldwaterโ€ฆ? Honestly, we canโ€™t ignore people like Buckley, eitherโ€ฆ

13 Likes

I tend to date it from Nixon and the Southern strategy, when they invited neonazis into the tent, but that is probably because that was when i became โ€œpolitically awareโ€

12 Likes

I think that was certainly an important inflection point for starting to take it mainstream, but I think the minority represented by Goldwater in 64 certainly gained ground with Nixon and then with Reagan. At the time, Goldwater seemed like an aberration from the mainstream liberal consensus, but turns out that he likely helped take those views more mainstream and give an alternative that some read as โ€œcounterculturalโ€โ€ฆ

As always, I canโ€™t recommend this book enough for understanding that shift in mainstream white, middle class cultureโ€ฆ

https://www.graceelizabethhale.com/nation-of-outsiders

9 Likes

from

Truth Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

23 Likes

The neat thing about escalation is that every single step is both the start of a whole new level and a continuation of what was happening before! :face_exhaling:

12 Likes

the other thing maybe is that before 64 there was segregation. so it makes sense that something had to take its place. to me it seems like thereโ€™s a continuous thread - of one sort or another - leading back through the gop, reagan, the southern strategy and party realignment, segregation, reconstruction, the civil war, and slavery.

i guess what i wonder is, was there ever a definitive shift in outlook? or just ebbs and flows of people in power trying to leverage white supremacy? sometimes called one party, sometimes the other, but always there and pushing

8 Likes

Well, yeah, part of the rise of movement conservatism was a revolt against integration, at first in the form of mass resistance, and then with support to politicians like Wallace and Goldwaterโ€ฆ :+1:

Some did, yeah, but mostly thatโ€™s among white people who were โ€œwell meaningโ€ but had no idea about how bad segregation was.

But also, you can go back to the Dixiecrats in 1948, after Truman integrated the military, which led to some southern democrats leaving the party and eventually ending up in the GOP (like Strom Thurmond).

11 Likes

It seems to me Reagan straight up weaponized the previous shit to the delight of the GOP - โ€œGovernment is the problem,โ€ black welfare queens, deregulation, tax cuts for the rich, leave the gays to fucking die, covert wars, โ€œmoral majority,โ€ gut the social contract and let them eat jellybeans?

The GOPers were jizzing in their pants over that senile bastard (sorry not sorry for that image). They thought they caught that lightning in a bottle again with Trump, but the current Frankenstein (โ€˜s monster) is out of their control, and theyโ€™re all too spineless to do anything but cling tenaciously to his buttocks and hope he rides the gerrymandered and electoral college-ified fake democracy to a lifetime appointment where they tell themselves he will pardon them of their treason slash give them jobs.

Correct me if Iโ€™m wrong!

12 Likes
12 Likes