Leader of Oath Keepers charged with seditious conspiracy

Oat Keepers! Fnurk!!

I see what you did there. :grin:

5 Likes

I am praying so hard that this is the timeline we are in. I have seen precious little evidence for that, but there are lots of us working very hard to make it so.

9 Likes

They didn’t name any names last time either. Which got us here:

5 Likes

Yeah, really.

Well, the majority of the population are in alignment with that, so that counts for something, long-term. It’s only the current system giving such disproportionate power to a minority that gives these kinds of groups such prominence (and even then, they’re a minority of a minority).

6 Likes
7 Likes

Oath Keeper mildew seeping into US politics.

7 Likes

The RS article links to the “quitam” [sic] that SoRelle (says she)* filed with the SCOTUS. Reading it is like kicking over an anthill and watching that for a while (i.e. “interesting, but why am I doing this?”). It’s a rant, with appended rants (and while IANAL I’m going to wager that legal filings typically don’t switch in-and-out of using the second-person). If it’s actually reached SCOTUS I suspect it’s still making its way from one desk to another, but that it will end up in the round file.

*But then the link is to Adobe Cloud, not SCOTUS itself, so who knows… Either way I suspect SCOTUS (even with its current makeup) will not be all over this.

5 Likes

Both were ordered to remain behind bars pending formal detention hearings on Jan. 20. Vallejo pleaded not guilty, although he is not expected enter a formal plea until a future arraignment hearing.

9 Likes

Wait, they let in girls now?

3 Likes

It’s the Proud Boys who are violently sexist as well, the Oath Keepers are only a wee bit sexist. For now, anyway.

5 Likes

That’s in regard to a separate thing. To an extent anyway.

Part of the way you pressure those little fish to flip is by ramping up the pressure, with additional charges. Serious jail time often comes out of multiple convictions, since sentencing guidelines are heavily determined by priors.

But otherwise it often takes time to build a case for more serious charges, especially on those bigger fish. Things like conspiracy or RICO to some extent require conviction on lesser charges to establish a pattern.

Then there’s just process shit. Smaller charges are easier to prosecute, but they give access and create a record for bigger charges and wider investigations.

2 Likes

If DOJ can’t convict the shock troops, they might have to aim a little higher. And we wouldn’t want that . . .

2 Likes

The Civil War-era charge is hard to prove, and scholars say overzealousness in applying it, going back centuries, also discredited its use.

The experts who examined the indictment against the 11 Oath Keepers members and associates said the government’s case is supported by detailed allegations that participants in the plot discussed their plans in encrypted chats, traveled to the nation’s capital from across the country, organized into teams, used military tactics, stashed weapons outside Washington in case they felt they were needed and communicated with each other during the riot on Jan. 6, 2021.

“This is as a good a case as you could bring,” said Carlton Larson, a law professor at the University of California at Davis who is an expert in treason law.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.