Leaked audio allegedly captures racist tirade by Nazi media darling Richard Spencer

Yeah I heard the other guy was pissed.

https://twitter.com/rembert/status/822616354629021699

10 Likes

google books reveals no instances before the 1850s.
the oed points to that play.

surely there must be some evidence of it being used–perhaps alongside quadroon-- in the slave trade. I doin’t discount the fact that such people were bought and sold as slaves. I’m simply speculating that the word is part of the vocabulary of white supremacy, rather than the slave trade.

You think the play, which opened in 1859, and which is about how people used the word octoroon in connection to slavery, invented the word first? That they named the play a brand-new-word that no one would have heard before? To protest society defining people as Octoroons, a concept and word somehow invented at that moment?

You demand evidence it was in use earlier? What about Two Years Before the Mast?

Also:

You think those are unrelated lexicons? How could you think those are non-overlapping lexicons? ? ?

Now, Octoroon wasn’t a chosen or professed identity, it was always a racial construction policed by white people and used in english to describe slaves, so I don’t know how it could be an either/or situation.

10 Likes

Correct, and it goes a wee bit deeper than just the One Drop Rule;

Such distinctions were used as a method of determining which slaves were best suited for the fields (darkies) and which slaves were “presentable” enough to serve in the “Masssa’s” house (high yellow mulattos, quadroons, octoroons, etc.)

For instance, due to my pale complexion and long loosely coiled hair, back in the antebellum days, I likely would have been relegated to being a “high yellow house negress.”

“Lucky” fucking me, huh?

What’s even more messed up is that particular historical colorist division is still negatively affecting the Black community, to this very day.

And on top of all that, I get to listen to others outside my demographic “expertly” pontificate on a subject which isn’t at all “philosophical,” ‘esoteric’ or “merely of historical interest” to me; it’s my reality, my everyday lived experience, 365.

16 Likes

ok fine. That’ll do. (of course, the context there refers to the proportion of Spanish blood necessary to raise one’s social standing)

your first suggestion was a modern day misprint-- google books combined two books with wildly different publication dates.

I caught that, since I double-check. They way you do when you completely delete your earlier claims, but still demand I research them.

5 Likes

But getting back to Richard Spencer:

12 Likes

hmm. yep. sorry about that. Perhaps, I should have taken the hint when discourse refused to thread the discussion properly.

1 Like

Here’s the “expert” I was reading.

“Race, Reproduction and Family Romance in Moreau de Saint-Mery’s Description. …de la partie francaise de l’isle Saint Domingue”

http://unice.fr/faculte-des-lettres-arts-sciences-humaines/contenus-riches/documents-telechargeables/telechargements/seminaires/seminaire-urmis-20-01-17-biblio-st-domingue

A profoundly disturbing embrace of pseudoscientific ideas, all in the service of injustice.

1 Like

8 Likes

14 Likes

I was pretty young when I saw School Daze in the theater but it always had an impact on me. At the time I thought, “They’re all black. What does the specific shade of their skin matter?”, until I realized that it did according to some people.

5 Likes

Obligs:

3 Likes

“Good and Bad Hair” was such an amazing production number. I don’t know how Spike Lee got the money to make the movie, but I’m glad he did.

4 Likes

I was just happy when I finally got to college (yes, also an HBCU) and it wasn’t anything like that.

That’s not to say that I never got hated on for my complexion, simply that it wasn’t quite so flagrant nor universal as Lee presented it back in 1989.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.