LISTEN: In taped Trump phone call, he pressures Georgia secretary of state to recalculate election, ‘I just want to find 11,780 votes’

Everything really worth doing is hard.

24 Likes

Nothing to see here, folks. Just another Perfect Phone Call!

8 Likes

Whoooo boy Jan 20 can’t come fast enough. :pray:

(And thank god we’re on this timeline, not the other one where he actually won the vote.)

13 Likes

We have yet to see whether that will actually matter.

Sunday, January 03, 2021

Somebody Else Should Do Something

I recognize that I am saying that, as I am a person with only the power of my mighty blogs, but the people with actual power can’t keep trying to make somebody else ‘it’ or wait for the Celestial Hall Monitors or for AT LONG LAST to rain down from the heavens.

Use it or we all lose it.

Atrios at 18:02

If he doesn’t get in trouble for this, why not try martial law?

5 Likes

I think that there are clearly at least three sets of rules for everyone else blue/white/black. :frowning:

7 Likes

Oh, there are no rules for Black people and/or other minorities, because “we dont matter;” didn’t you know?

9 Likes

Another ‘Perfect’ phonecall…

2 Likes

Yeah, I keep considering this - I don’t see how we can’t charge them, if we want any chance of democracy to survive.

Yeah. If we charge them, there’s likely to be armed uprisings of some scale (likely small), but if we don’t, democracy is dead (and there’ll be full-on civil war at some point as a result of that).

In which case it’s like not charging them at all, really.

This is so many orders of magnitude beyond what any president has done, and it keeps getting worse. This is the kind of fuckery we haven’t seen since the Civil War. Specifically, I’m reminded of post-Civil War white supremacists coups in the South:

We’re seeing nothing less than the abandonment of democracy by one political party, and you just don’t have a functional democracy after that happens. The Democrats should be acting like their hair is on fire.

Oh gods, no. Trump is such a complete and utter baby. He’s been panicking since he lost, and his hysteria rises and rises as it becomes harder and harder to deny the truth of it. Cognitively he’s clearly not in great shape and getting worse.

I’ve been seeing some Republicans questioning the legality… of having recorded the president during this phone call. (Also some talking about how “good” he sounded. I though he sounded drunk.)

Yeah, our entire democracy is taking some shrapnel right now, really.

It’s the Ukraine call (etc. etc.) all over again. This is form for Trump, not something new.

Yeah, but they don’t have that luxury, and I think plenty of them know that.

What’s amazing is Trump starts off, “I heard this rumor,” he’s then told it’s been debunked, so he turns on that person and insists that, since they don’t believe the debunked rumor, they must not know what’s going on. It really shows how, for Trump, reality is whatever is most advantageous to him, and he’s simply incapable of accepting anything else.

18 Likes

Pimp Daddy Donny wants his money votes.

Good luck with that.

23 Likes

–Trump
–Democracy

(Chose 1)

7 Likes

(Pardon the grammar error)

Right. But they’re not. It’s infuriating.

23 Likes

16 Likes

A kinda scary thing is that in 2016, America chose Trump. Over democracy.

9 Likes

The House is in session this week, has been since noon today. How soon could they turn around articles of impeachment again? Serious, I don’t care if he’s out on his keister in 17 days, ITMFAA.

An actual removal would forestall the nightmare of a 2024 presidential-race rematch at least.

3 Likes

At least I’m not hearing anything from Biden about a glorious era of bipartisan love, so maybe, just maybe, it’s starting to sink in… Perhaps Trump declaring martial law will be what’s required to light a fire under their butts.

9 Likes

Not all or even most of us did; just way too damn many.

Just enough to fuck things up, even more than they already were.

23 Likes

Not quite, but he does seem to believe that this is going to blow over, and we can return to bipartisanship that he was used to in the senate once Trump is out of the way. I’ve heard at least a couple of his appointees (for non-cabinet positions) say as much. If they really believe that, then I’m very worried, because I don’t think that’s the case at all. McConnell will use whatever tools are at his disposal, including this deep, virulent form of partisanship that has been growing since the 90s, to get his way.

I hope it doesn’t get to that.

20 Likes

Sure, he did “lose” by 3 million votes, etc.

When I say it’s kinda scary to that “America choose Trump over democracy,” I mean it’s kinda scary that we pretty much all went along with the subversion via the Electoral College of democracy.

Given that, what else might we also pretty much go along with?

8 Likes

I don’t know about you but pulling stunts like what we’ve seen MAGA idiots do this year “in protest” would have ended up with my Black ass in jail or dead. That’s not a price I’m willing pay.

17 Likes