Longer video of Native Americans, MAGA cap high-schoolers, and Black Hebrew Israelites encounter tells a different story

Not only that, the PR firm in question is one run by a Republican “advisor”

11 Likes

Very true. However, that damage being done, I have are slightest of hope that this kid might be able to learn that racism is unacceptable, inhuman and unscientific bullshit. And will change.

No chance for the sitting president of the US there.

In other words: you are absolutely right. All the fuzz around this makes me think that this kid is another fnord-like shitbait in the them-against-us narrative the US are so fkkng entangled in. OTH, every bit of public behaviour counts.

IDK, any longer.

Fuck this shit altogether, I’m so done with our species sometimes.

8 Likes

Well. two of them are on Fox News right now telling the awful tale of the horror they have had to endure: death threats and people hoping the clergy will assault them. “You can’t image, it’s been awful for us.” one of them said.

7 Likes

Can’t imagine what it’s like to receive rape and death threats?

You mean, like the black and Native people they were mobbed against have had to deal with their entire lives?

No Star Wars gif is strong enough to convey my exasperation!

19 Likes

Bear with me on this…So that is what has been telling to me on all of this.

I watched all the videos and read all the stories and reactions. And I thought, “Ok…so my oldest son when super nervous or tense or when anxiety overwhelms him…he smirks and smiles and sometimes laughs uncontrollably…maybe this kid (despite the smarmy look on his face) was dealing with the same thing?” for that split second I was able to have some empathy and open myself up to…oh let’s say a 1% chance of “maybe he isn’t a spoiled entitled little shithead”. I was still 99% sure he is…just allowing that perhaps I am wrong. I mean…hey I am not perfect…I don’t bat .1000…I’ve been wrong before (ya know…that one time…Tuesday the 14th, 1998…I should never have bought that gas station sushi :wink:). But I digress…

The point is…I had entertained that perhaps we saw it and perceived it wrong as a viewership that wasn’t in that moment. Maybe things weren’t what they appeared to be. This story became to me much like the couple Newsroom guys who fumbled their words and used racial slurs in reference to MLK…I asked myself…“Is it possible this was a misunderstanding?”

Now in the case of the newscasters…the answer was clear. the reaction/response. IF I DID THAT…I’d have been mortified. Instantaneous regret and humiliation. I’d have apologized immediately and condemned MYSELF for having said such a thing. Those guys didn’t. Not until afterwards when they realized “crap…someone noticed” that was when regret sunk in…not for having said it, but for having been caught/called out for it.

Now fast forward a whopping week later to these kids…in the moment it is possible for someone to ask “is this a misunderstanding”…and then these little assholes open their mouths and they REACT to their situation. And the same tired defense ensues…It’s not my fault…someone else started it…I have a right to be there/defend myself…why is everyone being mean to me/hating me…you have no idea how awful its been for me/how terrible people are being to me…I would never do anything like that/that’s not who I am.

NO. That reaction says it all…that 1% or whatever level of empathy or doubt you had should instantly flee…because these kids made it about themselves. The narcissist’s prayer comes on hard and strong. They do not give a damn about the Black Israelites, or the girls they mocked in other videos, or Nathan Phillips or any Native American. They care about themselves, their reputation among their peers, they care about their future prospects and opportunities, point blank…they have ZERO FUCKING EMPATHY FOR ANYONE BUT THEMSELVES.

To which I say to them and anyone defending them…

25 Likes

For the record, my response to you was a “yes, and”…but since it prompted such a long, heartfelt post I’m glad I wasn’t clear!

8 Likes

On a related note…

The right-wing persecution complex rolls ever on and on…

21 Likes

Oh no. It was clear. I was meaning to post that just use da reply to you to do it :slight_smile:

2 Likes
20 Likes

Dude, you and me both.

From the garbage-ass behavior of those kids, to the abdication of ethical responsibility of the adults that were supposed to be guiding them, to all the shitty, disingenuous defenses of flagrant bigoted behavior to the general state of our society right now…

Like Marvin said, it makes me wanna holler

19 Likes

This. The signal for a 3-pointer is both arms up, holding up three fingers, thumb through middle, with ring and pinky finger folded down. Definitely not the OK sign.

ETA:

4 Likes

Just keep it coming, you crowd of racist fuckwads. It will be remembered.

16 Likes

Even more, Jennings is a CNN contributor and frequent guest of Tapper:

Dude knew exactly what he was doing.

19 Likes

What someone think of the white bullies! /s

11 Likes

I find it remarkable that nobody here is calling for Mr. Sandmann’s prosecution - and it shows admirable (and Constitutionally correct) restraint.

Mr Sandmann’s prepared statement whines that he had the right to do what he did - which was to stand there, utter offensive words, and make offensive gestures.

He is quite likely technically correct that his conduct fell short of any threshold of criminality - he does enjoy freedom of speech. And his hanging out with equally privileged young snots is also within his guaranteed freedom of association.

Nevertheless, it’s equally part of freedom of speech to say that he’s an arsehole. And it’s equally part of freedom of association to exclude him from civilized society.

Moreover, his speech can have legal consequences. I’m sure that Mr. Phillips could pursue various claims such as harassment. I’m equally sure that actual damages would be nominal, simply because Mr Phillips’s dignity was so strong that Mr. Sandmann’s words and gestures could not harm him. A jury, however, would be within its ambit to award peppercorn actual damages and considerable punitive damages if such a case were pursued. I’m almost equally sure that no such case will materialize, because Mr. Phillips has more important things to spend his energy on than litigation against this punk.

I still hope for Mr Sandmann’s eventual rehabilitation. It’s unlikely, I concede, but sometimes kids this age do grow up to repudiate their former views. Bob Altemeyer’s work (The Authoritarians, pp. 67ff) suggests that the mere fact of a college education lowers scores on an inventory designed to assess authoritarianism significantly. (It seems to have less to do with what is taught and more to do with contact with students from different backgrounds).

So thanks, everyone, for a proportionate response. I’ve been on other fora where they’re out for blood.

6 Likes

See, this is interesting.

2 Likes

30 Likes
17 Likes

outrage online
that's weird

15 Likes

Just curious…can you point me to the video that clearly shows this…

I seem to have missed that part in the various videos.

1 Like